john deere g15 walk behind comments please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott in the soo, Jan 11, 2006.

1. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

looking at purchasing one of these... any feedback would be great...

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have not used that exact brand of mower but I have used an earlier model just like it.

it was the 36 in cut and I hated operating it with a passion so bad I never noticed if it had a good cut.

after being used to a LESCO 48, belt, the operation of the deere could not compare.

some of my problems with the deer were the gear shifter up high between the pistol grips. to shift gears you have to stop, lock the handle locks change gears, release the handle locks then go.

I think that is a dumb way to do things. with my LESCO you simply pull to a stop, use your knee to kick it into the gear you want and take off. it is a very efficient way to shift gears.

also I hated the dead man handles (operator presence controls) they are big and floppy and look and feel stupid. again, the ole LESCO has a better design.

those were my observations. other people probably see thing differently and wouldn't run a LESCO if they got one free. it takes all kinds to make a world, right? good luck.

GEO :)

3. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

I have a GS30, the same thing as the g15. Don't waste your money. I'm selling mine to a man that is going to use it on his lawn. There will be no problems for him because he won't be mowing in the dew and wet conditions. The cut is good but everything else is worthless.

4. bcomstock15

bcomstock15 LawnSite Member

I own seven of these, and once you get the hang of them, they are awesome.