John Deere Gator carb spitting

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pdege, Sep 9, 2006.

1. pdege

pdege LawnSite Member

Bought a used 4x6 gas 3 years ago. Performance was slowly going down hill. Spark plug (only 1 of the 2 cyl)was carboning up. Occassional backfire. Now it is spitting out of the carb. Bought a new carb since Bubba had bent the mix needle and I assumed that was the carbon cause. Also bought a new muffler. Still spitting out of the carb. Compression 180# rear cyl, 193# front cyl. I am now at a total loss as to how to get this thing running.....help

Thanks, Pat

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Need some engine #'s:confused: and have you tried a valve adjustment? Make sure you are running the correct spark plug John Deere has had a few changes to the plug they use, the last I can remember were NGK BM2A I would have to do some more searching but I will need the engine info.

3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Try doing a leakdown test and see what you have.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I believe MM is onto something with the valve adjustment, Thats what it sounds like to me also.

5. pdege

pdege LawnSite Member

I'm using BRM2A-10. Engine #FD620D-BS11 and FD620D093865

Valves are at a loose .010

Don't have a leakdown rig.

6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

may be an intake valve problem. does it even run at all now?

7. pdege

pdege LawnSite Member

No it has stopped running. Wouldn't an intake problem show in a compression check?

8. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

then maybe your flywheel key has sheared? does it spit and pop out the carb?
    what kind of engine do you have in it?

9. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Plug # you gave is good and so is the valve clearance, How are you testing for spark?