John Deere Gator Diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DEEREBOY14, Nov 9, 2007.

1. DEEREBOY14

DEEREBOY14 LawnSite Member

IS A JOHN DEERE GOOD
    :confused:

2. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

Why? buying a diesel gator? 6x4 or 4x4. I have a 4x2 and love it, never replaced anything on it.

3. DEEREBOY14

DEEREBOY14 LawnSite Member

Lot Of Resons

4. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

5. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

cause his dads buying it for him!!!

6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

personally i would go kubota RTV...everything else uses drivebelts as far as i know...the RTV has drive shafts, i'm not sure about the gator 4x4 though

7. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I love John Deere, but the Gator is kind of lacking in my opinion. Maybe it's because I'm more used to 4 wheelers, but it just seems slow and does not have a lot of toughness (for lack of a better word). I've used them before and I'm just not a huge fan. I drove a Kubota RTV and liked it a little better. I like the driveshafts over the belts, until a driveshaft breaks andn then I'd rather have a belt. I still think a Gator, RTV, Rhino, or Ranger are just a lot of money for a little bit of use. JMO.

8. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Good, But expensive.

9. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on what you want to use it for. They don't seem real impressive just driving one around, but I will say one thing for them- they take abuse like you would not beleive. I've used them in an urban search and rescue environment, and we loaded them down way over their rated capacities. We would pile the bed full of tools and equipment and then pile 6-8 guys on top of that. We loaded one so heavy that the frame actually bent a little bit. Even though they just have a snowmobile-type drive system, they would always move, even with a full load and three flat tires. At our base camp a guy used one to move a 10,000 lb. generator trailer. It pulled it up a grade that you would have sworn there was no way it would have. None of the Gators in the camp had any mechanical problems other then flat tires and they ran forever on a tank of fuel.

10. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 1000 miles on the Rhino my "daddy bought" for me and love it. Dump Bed isnt as big but it hauls ass and it too will go places you would never imagine. The Rangers are great to use as work vehicles as well. Bigger dump bed but not as comfertable as a Rhino. I do know 2 people with Gators and they do love them! They seem like great work vehicles I just like the versatility and comfert of a Rhino.