John Deere GS30 48 inch Walk Behind Mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by firthoffifth, May 24, 2008.

1. firthoffifth

firthoffifth LawnSite Member

Picked this Mower up last fall, Used but not in bad shape at all. Guy who dropped it off for us started it right up to get it off his trailer and walk it back to a storage shed. Sat the winter, and today pulled it out... would not start at all. Cleaned the plug, checked all connections, even made sure the fuel line switch was on. Nothing. The owners manual mentions a fuse on the engine... but I could not locate one. This is a manual start... could the fuse be a part of the electronic ignition system that this unit doesn't have... and I'm chasing a red herring. Last but not least the manual lists an Operator presence system that needs to be engaged for the engine to run... I do not have the handles for that on my unit. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

1) Check for spark...if no spark then:

The neutral is very touchy on these, could be you have to actually put it halfway between nuetral and reverse or halfway between nuetral and 1st gear.

2) If yes on spark and still no fire...
    Keep in mind the more you crank, the more likely now you have a flooded engine, too. Maybe after several tries, use no choke and leave the throttle about 1/2. You might try a test light to verify neutral switch.