1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

john deere gs30 vs exmark metro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shm, Aug 19, 2003.

1. shm

shm LawnSite Member

I'm about a hair close to buying an exmark but I have one more debate in my mind...I have a JD dealer 1 mile from my home...the exmark dealer is close to 25-30 minutes...the JD is $2550 the exmark is $2500 with pistol/ 2600 with ecs...any thoughts? both are very reputable dealers....
  2. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Though I like John Deere, the exmark metro is the better machine. It leaves a great cut, is durable and the ecs controls are much better than the pistol grips on the Deere.
  3. shm

shm LawnSite Member

anyone else have any thoughts/opinions?
  4. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Deere GS30. While I like the machine I would probably go with the Exmark. I have never used or worked on an Exmark but I have a Scag. I think Exmark and Scag are pretty similar and I like the Scag more.

Here's why- you can buy a much wider selection of parts, both OEM and aftermarket for the Scag and I assume for the Exmark. You can't for the Deere. 2 blades for the Deere cost me about 25 bucks and I didn't have the option of high-lift, gator, medium lift, etc... Deere blades are "keyed" which means they have a special hole pattern to fit on the spindles.

You can only buy parts at a Deere dealer. You may be able to get simple things at other stores but nothing too extensive. My Deere dealer tried to get me to buy "their" engine (Kohler 13) because it was the only one that fit. Well, I took a chance on a Kohler 15 from my dealer because it was $250 CHEAPER and it fit perfectly. So I feel the Deere people were trying to hose me.

Make a long story short- I have spent the SAME amount of money to refurbish my Deere as it took to COMPLETELY rebuild (including paint, bushings, spindles, wheels, blades, everything) my Scag.
    The main thing is the cost of parts in my opinion!

The Deere cuts better but I'd pick the Scag.
  5. shm

shm LawnSite Member

Got a quote for the JD GS30 at $2300? Does that change anyone's thoughts vs the exmark?
  6. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

My HD45 uses the same blades as the GS30 and you can buy gators, highlifts, etc at www.mowproducts.com.
  7. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

I have a GS 30 and I love it. 4 years of mowing and all that has broken was a tranny which was covered under the 3 year warranty, dont know if they still have it. It gives me a great cut. I also like the extra strip of metal on the left side of the deck. I takes the abuse from trying to get too close before the damage reaches the deck itself. The dealer either has what I need in stock or it is here the next day. You can buy a mulch kit from the dealer and they also stock mulch blades. The mulch blades are also available from Jackssmallengines.com. I can not say anything about the Exmark as I have never used one. Try them both and buy what you like. Keep in mind dealer support. I would rather have an average mower with excellent support than the best with little to none.
  8. shm

shm LawnSite Member

so i'm down to two mowers- both the 36inch deck
    the JDGS30- 13 HP Kohler 2300- $2500
    Metro exmark 36inch deck with 13HP Kawa $2500 pistol/ $2600 ECS
    both dealers are reputable- Jd is 1 mile from home exmark- 20

I don't think I'm going to jump up to the 48 inch....my lawns could take it but storage becomes a little tight
    I think if I could get a better price on the exmark it will be in my driveway by the weekend but all the dealers i have spoken with they all are around the same price.....I appreciate all the feedback- this website is truly a great resource....any more info or thoughts welcome or is there any other factors i should be thinking about? if bastalker is online- i'd like to find out where he bought his 46 inch exmark for 2300 in CT!
  9. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

I like John Deere, But the one thing I don't like about the GS30 is that the blades are timed. Break a belt and you will know what I mean. Are the Exmarks 36'' mower blades timed???
  10. shm

shm LawnSite Member

I believe they are timed as well on the exmark