john deere hd-45 wb

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captken, Apr 7, 2003.

1. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I need a hydro wb, 36" for gates. A friend in the business offered to sell me his john deere hd-45 for 2500. It comes with a 2 wheel velky, 350 hours, new gater blades. I have used it before and I know it hasn't been abused and is well maintained.
    I can buy a simular wb bunton, exmark metro, belt/gear new for the same amount. The john deere sold new for near 4500, and is hydrostatic drive.
    what do you all think? Is this a good deal?
    I priced a simular unit at the jd dealer that was in worse shape without the velky for the same price, minus the tax.
    I don't see many john deere walkbehinds around here.
    Most are ex-mark or toro and skag.
    What do you think about the quality, reliability of the john deere against the others?
    It has a blade timing belt that I'm told that if you hit something with a blade and that blade stops, the other one will spin and come in contact with it and cause damage. [overlapping blades]

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I know only one thing about John Deere..and that is they are reliable and last a very, very long time.

3. LANDGUARD

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

All I can say is that I just replaced a spindle on my 36" John Deere Commercial Walk Behind. You might think that this is a bad thing but I bought it in 1989. Have never had any problems other than wear and tear (belts,carb, and plugs). I don't think that you can go wrong.

4. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

What do you mean is it worth it? Its a Deere!!!! :D

5. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

In all seriousness I have an HD45 and it is a great machine. You will be happy with it.

6. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

I just took delivery on a new HD45 this past week. Only mowed once but am very pleased with the handling, ergonomics, cut, and bagging. I found the power to be more than adequate.

7. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a GS 45 36" best machine I ever bought! I haven't had to do anything to it other than regular maintenance.

8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It's great. Once you get used to the controls you are a master mower!!!!

Only trouble in 4 years... the deck height adjustment wore some and can pop out of height.

Eaton transmissions are very reliable, but costly if they break.

$2500 is a good deal. New you are looking at close to $5K with the velke, so half price at a young 350 hours is a good deal if you know it is well maintained.

Ken

9. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks, I was ready to get the money, but my friend is having second thoughts. He hoped that I would not be mad at him. His wife is pressuring him to sell and he said he would have to think about it some more...he is torn between lawn service and pest control for a carear.
    He said he might still sell it but I'll probably buy a hyro new.
    Which is the best one to buy?

10. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

Woh, you just opened a can of worms with that. You might as well ask which is the best pick up or which is the best religion, or most important, who makes the best micro...

:D