John Deere HD 45

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dwc, Feb 9, 2005.

1. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone knows what transmission's they use in these? Or where can I get one besides John Deere? Deere wants $1,000 for theirs so I am looking to see if I can find one elsewhere.

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll try to find it, almost bid on it as a "just in case" spare for my HD75, I think opening bid was around $275. I'll check to see if I have saved it but I'm afaid it has been to long.

May want to post to "want it now" on EBAY just in case.

I think they are made by EATON.

KB

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to question your mechanical abilities, but are you positive the transmission is in fact failed?

That mower has 2 transmissions, a left and a right.

The first time my transmission belt broke, it "slipped" a lot and I thought it was trans probs but was actually goofed up belt.

4. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah it's gone. The dealer even tore it apart and looked at it and said there was some rough spots on some valves so they cleaned it and put it back together but it didn't help. Wish it was just a belt though!

5. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

John deere only parts. they make all there equipment like this for $$$$$$ reasons It sucks I will never buy another one

6. agr682

agr682 LawnSite Member

hd45 and hd75 have the same transmissions, hopefully you can find a cheap one, I have had no luck

7. Liberty Lawn Management

Liberty Lawn Management LawnSite Member

I bought a HD75 with a bad hydro. After the Dealer wanted the $900 for a new one I decided to find the repair parts. John Deere doesn't provide the parts. I guess they would rather take all your money. The unit is an Eaton 778. If you find a "Simplicity" dealer they can get you the repair parts, $150 for mine. This is a parts Publication for their ZT mower, Same Hydro unit. Once you take apart the unit you will usually find the motor rotor, or the pump rotor worn, along with the ball pistons. Hope this helps, Good Luck!

http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/67..._01_ZT_SMA.pdf

8. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

I have a JD HD45 as well. One of my hydros is making a chirping sound. I am afraid it is getting ready to go as well. I am hoping it is just a bearing that can be easily replaced. I have been looking for used hydros as well but haven't had any luck.

9. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

I went to Eaton's website and pulled up the repair manual for the Model 778. Here is a link. http://pdfx.mcgware.com/DMedia/Media/07-418.pdf

I wasn't able to pull the Simplicity link so sorry if this is the exact same thing that has already been posted by Liberty Lawn Management.

10. Liberty Lawn Management

Liberty Lawn Management LawnSite Member