1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere, Hustler, eXmarkXmark ... Price gaps ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by webdrifter, Jul 13, 2004.

1. webdrifter

webdrifter LawnSite Member

I was talking to a buddy of mine at work today, and He has been checking out the prices on some commercial mowers. I wasn't surprised at the Hustler Super Z price, or the eXmark Lazer Z price because I have been pricing them myself, but the John Deere 777 price threw me for a loop. These prices were for cash without very much negotiating . The Super Z with the 27 hp air cooled Kohler was $7900. The eXmark Lazer Z with the 27 hp air cooled Kohler was $8200. The John Deere 777 had the 27 hp liquid cooled Kawasaki, and it was quoted as being $8200. This was a big surprise to me because when you add the liquid cooled Kawasaki engine to the eXmark or Hustler they are at least $1000 higher than they are with the air cooled kohler.

How is John Deere able to sell their ZTR so much cheaper ??. John Deere also has a rebate going so it would actually be less than $8000.

I'm going to check this out this weekend because my friend may have not understood the correct engine options .

He also said that the dealership had a used 797 72" with less than 30 hours for around $7500.

Your opinions ?
  2. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

I found the same thing when I was buying. If your Deere dealer is a good one, I would snatch up the deal on the 777 - I did on mine. :D
  3. webdrifter

webdrifter LawnSite Member

I agree Steve1 the deal on the Deere 777 is very tempting, but I can't help but wonder how they are selling there mowers so much cheaper than the competitors with the same engine. Is it that much cheaper to stamp a deck verses fabricate ? Hustler Super Z 27 hp liquid cool Kawasaki is around $9400. The John Deere 777 is $8200 with the same engine or $7900 after rebate.

Is John Deere taking a beating on the profit markup in order to get a foothold in the ZTR market, or are they using cheaper materials than the other major ZTR manufacturers in order to slash their prices?

I know that the yard tractor market (Sears, Murray) is flooded with high horsepower mowers, but the decks and the other parts are very cheap. They believe that HP sells, and perhaps in their situation it does.
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The exmark can probably be had a bit cheaper for the 27 horse air cooled.
    I'd thing there is a bit of an incentive at this point to sell since the new models will be out soon.
  5. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

check the hydros guys check the hydros
  6. rott_dobe

rott_dobe LawnSite Member

What should a person look for in the hydros? Certain brand, model, what???

Help an incompetent person out!! :)
  7. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

The new Deere's use a unified hydro pump instead of two separate pumps; ie the tried and proven BDP10 pumps that most ztr s use.

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

SIZE will likely be the factor here,(check specs.)and when you add HUSTLER'S hydro-cooling extra's ,they will surely come out on top.:p :cool:
  9. Steve1

I could have bought the exMark or Hustler 27 Kohler with a 60" deck for considerably less than what was listed here. Here's the prices I was quoted for the following mowers:

exMark - 27Koh/60" - $7399
    Hustler- 27Koh/60" - $7500 for a new one, $6600 for a demo unit
    JD 757 - 25Kaw/60" - $7299
    JD 777 - 27LC-Kaw/60" - $7850
    Toro 557 - 27Koh/60" - $7500
    Gravely PM260Z - 27Koh or 25Kaw/60" - $7199

The JD units are not cheaper built or otherwise. Their construction and materials used are equal to anyones and the cut I experienced on my demos was superior to all. Just my observations and I'm not flaming any brand of mower.

All of the ones I've listed are fine units but the biggest concern of all to ANYone purchasing a new ZTR has to be "How good is the dealer going to treat me after I've paid my new JD/Hustler/exMark/Gravely/Toro/etc?".

Good luck!
  10. Steve1

Regarding the Hydro's - Deere uses two pumps in one common case. Yes, it is a novel idea and I'm sure it has some cost savings but the dealer (more than one JD dealer's mechanics actually) told me that the new setup is very robust and that they have had very, very few issues with them. Not just because they are fairly new but because it is a good design.

I'll save my vote for later on this issue but for now, I don't see any advantage or disadvantage either way (dual cases or a single).