John Deere hydro 185

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by jhale2004, Jun 9, 2007.

1. jhale2004

jhale2004 LawnSite Member
    from ky

Im a noob, so hello to all!:waving: Just curious what you guys think this mower is worth... I ran it tonight and mowed with it for a while. It starts like a charm, purrs like a kitten, idles smooth, and doesnt leak any fluids or anything. only thing I can find wrong with it is that it needs the little button on the lever that raises/lowers the deck and it seem to be "skipping" some grass while it cuts anything kind of thick so I assume the blades need to be sharpened. Guy said he had to have 700.00 out of it.

pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Buster57

Buster57 LawnSite Member

I owned a 185 for years and it was a tough cutting machine! I had the 48" deck.

Expect a rebuild at 1700 hours, but it is very nice.

Need to know the hours. If 800 or less buy it right away.

3. jhale2004

from ky

around 650 hrs. Any known common issues, what its worth or any information you guys can give me on this tractor? It seems to be a nice little ride... I think I may take it.

4. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

This was a great machine for JD, but keep in mind, the older machine you buy, the harder it is going to be to find parts and materials for it. A newer machine will also cut better, faster, and make you more productive...not to mention less down time. Just my advice.

5. Buster57

Buster57 LawnSite Member

If there is a weak spot in this mower it is the front deck. It can start to bend if you abuse it too much which can lead to cracking.

The engine was very solid as was the transmission.

This is a very good mower.

6. jhale2004

from ky

thought about doing a little paint work and some small things and maybe selling it again... whats the potential value of this mower?

7. Buster57

Buster57 LawnSite Member

As much as you are paying for it or more. If you lived by me I would buy it.

8. jhale2004

from ky

lol... I picked it up today and mowed the yard with it. It mows great! Im glad I ran across it. I guess the grass I was on the other day was just too thick for a mower this size... it was kind of more like weeds. Hope I can get that button from the local JD store though. May do the paint work in a few weeks and see how it turns out :)

9. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats. That machine will work well for you forever. They are hard to kill.

10. jhale2004

from ky

Got the button and the hood decals from the dealer today... all of it was around 20 bucks. I will try to do the paint this week... I will keep you guys posted... see how it looks.