1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere in wet grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greengiant9963, Nov 25, 2005.

1. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

Looking to purchase a new ztr this coming spring and can't make up my mind which brand to go with. I run exmark now and like the cut but when it is wet forget it. Clump city. I have read many good things about John Deere 7 iron decks doing well in wet conditons. Would like to hear from owners and there opinions on this??? Thanks.
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Get an 06 Exmark with the new Triton deck and your clumping problems should be over.
  3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

travis, have you used the triton decks? what did you think of them?
  4. Grassman6

Grassman6 LawnSite Member

The 7-Iron deck is a good choice for wet conditions is you specify the high-lift blade part #TCU15881. I have been running this deck for more than 3000 hours on two different JD Z-Traks but I cannot compare to any other mower on the market for you. Just slow down when the dew is heavy and maybe cut 2/3 of the deck width in the really wet stuff and blow away from the center of the property as much as possible. Let the front yard dry while you are mowing the back then return to the front with the deck all the way up and blow it out at right angles to your last pattern and life is good. During the wet summer months I will drop the kids off at school at 7:00 and spin blades at 7:30am.
  5. greengiant9963

The triton is a brand new deck that looks really good on paper but who has run this deck day in and day out to really tell..
  6. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

I ran the Exmark with the trivantage deck for 2 years. It clumped because of the deck style. Its patented deck design forced all the clippings to crowd past all the blades before exhausting, this made the grass look more like bullcrap than anything else by the time it got out. I switched to a Gravely ZTR mower with a deck that threw the clippings out in front of the blades along the windtunnel. It does not mulch as well, but with double blades that thing rips through any rainstorm without too much trouble. Add gators and it keeps up with the best. Take a look at some of the different deck baffle designs on most mowers. They all perform differently in wet turf or dry. Maybe have a couple dealers come out during a rain and demo side by side.
  7. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I have cut grass that was as tall as the rear tires on my 757 early in the morning when the dew didn't have a chance to dry off. It was wet enough to soak your pant legs in a very short distance. All I did was hold the discharge chute open (I have a great set-up for that), and let the grass fly. It clumped very little. The only real problem was there was simply too much grass being cut and it laid a blanket over the ground, but no real "clumps".

Now, before I hear about cutting grass too tall; it was the customers request for a one time cut and they were simply trying to avoid code violation. They didn't care about the looks, even though it still made the place look 100% better even with the blanket of cut grass!
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yup... I got an opinion on this one.
    I know what you are talking about all too well.
    Double or triple cutting, busting clumps and scraping decks gets OLD.
    Takes up so much time that you don't do much better than just staying home.

Now, let me tell you what I done. I bought a Lesco Z-Two. Cheap instant fix. If you don't have a Lesco service center or don't like them, the Cub Commercial TANK is the same machine.

No more mess of clippings, clumps or continous deck scraping. Handles wet grass like a dream. The only thing I have ever seen it make a mess of was dense wet crabgrass. Hit a yard full of it and you are going to see a mess when side discharging, but other mowers handle it no better. In this stuff it still doesn't really clump. What happens is that it will try to stick to the deck surfaces but it is not successful at clinging on. So it will begin to slide across the top to the discharge opening. So the deck will slowly clear itself and push out a cow pie.

Anyways, for me, this deck was the answer.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

10. greengiant9963

Thanks Envy. I actually have a lesco commercial plus walk behind for sale. Same black deck as the Ztwo. With the hydro ez controls. Has about 90 hours on it. Never really gave it a shot in wet grass I have to say. Maybe I should. Just don't have room on the trailer with two exmark riders. If it does perform well I would have to trade it in for a z two though. My lawns are much to large right now for walkbehinds. I do like the seats on the ztwos. I sat on one at the dealer. Very comfortable.