john deere jx75

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jerseydevil, Mar 16, 2006.

1. jerseydevil

jerseydevil LawnSite Member

I have just replaced the transaxle (5 speed) transmission on my jd jx75 as well as a new crive belt. The xmsn pulley turns and the wheels move when the rear of the deck is lifted. But when all 4 wheels are on the ground the drive belt/pulleys turn but the mower does not self propell. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what was the remedy to the problem? Any suggetsions are greatly appreciated.:drinkup:

2. Charles Odell

Charles Odell LawnSite Member

have you pulled the rear wheels and checked the plastic gear that
    bolt to the back of the wheel itself, That has a metal gear turning
    against a plastic gear(wears out the plastic) 2nd thing is if you
    put the wheels on the wrong side they came off of originally
    there are pins in ther that are made to lock for going foward
    but when drive handle is released they will let mower be
    pulled backwards, Hope this helps you:waving:

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Adjust the engage cable, (adjustment is down at the bottom of the cable where it attaches to a bracket), so it pulls harder on the trans. engage mechanism. This will allow less belt slippage. My guess is the belt is slipping on the pulley on top of the trans. when it gets a load on it. When free wheeling, it turns trans. just fine.

4. jerseydevil

jerseydevil LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips I'll check them out today. I'm pretty sure the wheels are on the right sides cause the pinion gears have to face the right direction in order for the wheels to "free wheel" when not in gear. Drive belt is a little loose and could very well be slipping on the drive pulley. Thanks again.