John Deere JX85 replacement?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grshppr, Jan 29, 2003.

1. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

I've switched all my 21" mowers to JX85's now, because I've found them to be a reliable, powerful and very efficient cutting machine. Now My dealer is telling me that they have discontinued them. They didn't know if a replacement was going to be coming out or not. Any body hear if there is, or do we have to go to the homeoner version the JX75? It just makes me mad that I've switched everything to John Deere and now I can't get them any more.:angry:

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I switched from JX85's to JX75's several years ago to save money. The 75 will last just as long as the 85. I did add the bolt-on front adjuster brackets. All the heavy duty "commercial" add ons you find on the 85 will bolt right onto the 75 if you want them.:D

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've got the JX75 with the added on heavy duty rear height adjusters. I can't see paying $200-300 more dollars for virtualy the same mower.

4. grshppr

So I take it the tranny and motor are the same. What about the deck and handles? Do they hold up, I found the JX 85 handles tended to break after 1 year or so and needed to be welded.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

On the JX75 the wheels and height adjustments are plastic, where as on the JX85 they are steel. The JX85 is pressure lubricated and for this you will pay about $40 for the kit (in my case here, installation is free) to be monted on the JX75. As far as I know the engine, tranny, deck and spindle is the same. And Bob is right, you can save a couple hundred buck by buying the JX75 and upgrading (might be a little less savings with all the upgrades). Mine is 6 years old and just now won't start on the first pull, but will on the second. KAW makes a great little 6hp engine.

MATT

6. grshppr

Thanks for the info guys, I just wasn't sure how the JX 75 would hold up. Now that I know about these options I' ll probably pick up a couple of JX75s this spring and do those mods. Thanks again:)

7. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

When I bought my JX85, the dealer told me that the tranny is actaully different. He took me outside and showed me the difference...when you pull back on a 75, it rolls back with complete ease. On the 85, it's much tighter. He said the tolerances in the 85 tranny are far tighter and the build quality is far better...dont konw if it's true but mine has held up great...

8. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I have the JX85 myself and only just recently found out on this sight that they don't make them any more. I love mine.

Steve

9. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

How good are the handles on the JX75? Like do they have some good brackets that are bolted to the frame of the mower?? Cause on our old Murray we had to welt some extra pieces of iron on it to re-enforce the arm so it wouldnt break, considering we use this mower on a very steep burm that is very rough, and many times I have slipped some while pushing the POS murray.
    Matt

10. grshppr

The brackets on the JX85 are quite good, the problem is the bolts where the brackets bolt on tho the deck. The bolts always broke on me, so I drilled them out and put larger ones in with lock tite nuts. Seemed to solve the handle problem. I've had 2 handles break, but it was usually because they were loose for a while. Plus we have a few places with stairs, so they take a lot of stress.