John Deere L108 - scalping question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jamescope1, Jun 21, 2005.

1. jamescope1

jamescope1 LawnSite Member

Well, I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. I am having scalping issues with my new John Deere L108. On relatively flat turf, I have no problem, but my front yard has quite a slope to it. High spots and low spots are killing me. I adjusted the front wheels of the deck properly and am cutting at 2.5". It really could use something on the rear of the deck to keep it from scalping. From reading somewhere else, it says I should raise the rear end of the deck and 1/8" to 1/4". Is this all I need?

I'm just really disappointed in the new mower. Maybe I should have looked for one of these floating deck types that I've read about. Either that or I will go back to pushmowing my front yard which always produced a beautiful cut.

Thanks,

Jim

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Raising the rear of the deck 1/8 - 1/4 is only for proper deck pitch to get a good cut.

I'd raise the deck up to 3" and try that, we don't ever cut anything at 2 1/2 inches.

3. jamescope1

Yeah, I went down to the root of the grass, I'm thinking of skipping 3" and going right to 3.5" Any idea why they don't put those wheels to the back of the deck in addition to the front to prevent this? If cutting at 3.5" doesn't work, I'm thinking of adding something on there to prevent it from bottoming out. I have a friend that is a welder....

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Ya, the reason the don't add anti scalping wheels to the rear of the deck is............cost.

Is your lawn that rough that you've got so many areas that are scalping or is it just at the crest of the hills and such?

5. jamescope1

Well, there are only two real bad scalps. The rest might be taken care of by raising to 3 or 3.5" cuts. The slope is just not even, has some high spots and low spots. Those highs and lows combined with the slope ain't working. It's not a big front yard, no more than 5k square feet. Adding two anti-scalping wheels to the rear of the deck would be the ultimate solution.

Well, I'll adjust the rear of the deck up 1/4" and cut at 3.5" next time and see what happens.

6. jamescope1

Update... I measured my mower deck height(42"cut), it is at 2 1/4" in the front and 2 3/4" in the back when set at 2.5". I was quite surprised. So, the pitch is already set correctly, but 2.25" is going to kill my grass.

I'm going to go from 2.5" to 3.5" on the height selector. This gives me about 3" height in the front and 3.5" in the back. Hopefully this fixes everything...

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I dont know what kind of grass you have, but here in Va most of mine are fescue and I have a deere that I cut with at times and I never go lower than #3.5 unless its the last mow of the year in the winter then im down to setting #3

8. RichmondR

RichmondR LawnSite Member

Jamescope --

If your deck pitch is at 1/2", that's a bit too much, at least from everything I've read on this forum, where most of the posts recommend 1/8 - 1/4". It doesn't sound like a lot, but I think it would make a big difference in how musch time the blade has to evenly cut the grass.

I'm not sure how much trouble it is to adust the deck pitch, but you may want to try that as well. Also, fyi, most JD dealers carry a blade height measurement tool that's about $8-10 that makes it a snap to check blade height without performing acrobatics with a tape measure under your deck.