John Deere L130 Deck Holes

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bdoutdoors, Oct 19, 2006.

1. bdoutdoors

bdoutdoors LawnSite Member

I have a jd L130 w/48" deck. I bought it in spring of 2004 and had to replace the deck in the winter of 2005 because of holes wore in the deck. JD replaced it at know charge because it was under warranty. The new deck now has holes in it and my warranty ran out in April. Have any of you had this problem with JD decks. I'm going to send a letter to JD about this problem and would like to know if this is a problem with other people.

2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Seems like that model has a fairly decent deck for a residential mower, 12 gauge thickness as I recall, maybe even 10 gauge.

Deere has met their obligation. You could check with a Deere dealer and see if any kind or shop advisories have been issued on this.

I would want to figure out what is causing it. Did the holes appear in the same place in both decks? Is your soil sandy? Are you using high-lift blades? Do your blades lose sharpness fast and wear out fast? Does either belt bounce at your mowing height and continually strike the deck (it's amazing how a belt can wear steel)? Hard to ask the right questions without seeing it.

Since it is out of warranty, once you know what is causing it, you can devise a fix or take it to a mower repair shop and see if they can devise a fix.

Also, I would ask the question in Mechanics & Repair and see if Restorob or another pro has seen this problem before.

3. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

Rust? Acid? Wear?

What kind of holes?

Where?

Amy comments about what is causing them?

4. bdoutdoors

bdoutdoors LawnSite Member

The holes are in the same place near the rear of the discharge. I do run high lift blades. My lawn is very average for my location here in ga. i do have some sandy spots but nothing above average. I do bag most of the time and use it for leaf removal in the fall. My yard is about 3ac. in size with centerpide,burmuda and bahi. My dealer has been great in dealing with the replacement of the first deck. They upgraded the deck to a newer model with the greasable spindles. I have owned JD equipment for 20 plus years and would have nothing else. I'm going to check with them to see if they have had any problem with this model. Thanks for the replies. B.D.

5. BareFeet

BareFeet LawnSite Member

First mistake you bought a deere

6. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il