1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere LA110

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by cross1933, Jul 24, 2007.

1. cross1933

cross1933 LawnSite Member

I am considering getting a John Deere LA110 to mow my yard. The cost is around $1800 after delivery/setup and taxes from a local John Deere Dealer. My preferences are something that has automatic transmission, easy to drive good quality for the price. I want my wife to be able to use the mower if the need arises.

2. Ray Zorback

Ray Zorback LawnSite Member

How large is your yard? Hills, flat...?

I have a John Deere L118, 20HP 2cyl. B&S, 42" deck. I have put 500 hours on it in 3 1/2 years without any problems.

3. cross1933

cross1933 LawnSite Member

I think around 14,000 sq. feet. Lot dimensions are,
    75' front
    155' north shide
    175' south side
    108' rear

The back yard has a steeper than normal slope, but I plan to correct that in September. The plan is to regrade and add a berm in each corner and one in the center rear of the lot.

4. Rollinhome48

Rollinhome48 LawnSite Member

I have a LA110 JD Bought new last year..The belts that go around the pullys on deck to shaft on motor keep sredding or coming off.I have bought 4 new belts from JD dealer But same thing.. Is there a problem with these new LA110.I'm reading to drop this machine in the lake...Tks for any info....John

5. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

No problem with the belts - it's the design of the tractor.
    If I was the head of that project, I'd shoot the engineer that came up with that design.

Get the Husqvarna (23hp/48"?) for the same price (or Sears - Same mower as Husky) and save yourself the headache of an under-engineered unit.

Or go to a JD dealer, spend $3,000.00 to $5,000.00 and get a tractor that will last 15-20 years or more.