John Deere lawn tractor not charging battery

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Z71ss, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Z71ss

Z71ss LawnSite Member

my older JD lawn tractor is not charging the batery and is becoming a royal pain everytime I need to start it to jump it off the truck,its a LC 15 hp,any ideas much appreciated

2. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

are you certain its not charging, and not a bad battery? mower batteries only last a few years. charge the battery, check the voltage. then start it...does the voltage go up? if so, bad battery. i've found most load testers will make toast of even a good mower battery, so i dont check them that way anymore.

3. Z71ss

Z71ss LawnSite Member

yep brand new Battery every year for the past 3 yrs time to fix it ,is there a voltage regulator or stator on this engine,any other ideas

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You lost me with LC 15hp.....Post the model and spec. numbers off the engine so we can see what it is.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I bet it is a liquid-cooled Kawasaki. J.D. used a lot of those in garden tractors

6. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

oldrustycars,
    .... What you are suggesting here is that a battery charger will charge a battery but a JD garden tractor will NOT unless the battery is NEW is that correct? And if it is correct how do you explain it :confused:?

Thanks

7. Z71ss

Z71ss LawnSite Member

oldrustycars,
    .... What you are suggesting here is that a battery charger will charge a battery but a JD garden tractor will NOT unless the battery is NEW is that correct? And if it is correct how do you explain it ?

I dont understand whats confusing you ,the Tractor is NOT charging the Battery it goes dead even if used constantly (daily) so every year I put a new Battery in it ,id like to Fix the TRACTOR so it charges the Battery when it RUNS,

8. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... Sorry for the confusion Z71ss, my questions were directed to oldrustycars. I understand your problem and quoted your results :).

9. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe so. If the battery is too weak the on board charging system may not be switched on. Most engine battery charging system have to "see" a reference voltage form 4 to 6 volts from the battery before it will switch on the solid state voltage rectifier/regulator. I have even seen house type "computer controlled" batttery chargers that would not switch on to charge a battery if it was below the reference voltage.

10. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

no. what im saying is that a weak battery might cause you to think the charging system is at fault. and even a weak battery will usually hold a charge long enough to do a diagnosis. the battery may be on its last legs, and when the mower wont start you may think its the charging system, not charging the battery.
    are we going to get the model number and what engine this is? ive never heard of an LC15. when you say "older" with a deere, it could be 40 years old. many that old are still going strong.