John Deere Lawn Tractors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bkdlawnCo, Oct 25, 2005.

1. bkdlawnCo

bkdlawnCo LawnSite Member

I was wondering how many of you use john deere lawn tractors(ride on) style. I was looking at something like an LT160 because they are hydro,two-pedal drive and i liked that and for a new tractor the price is right...this will be used to do residential accounts for now...this is a temporary thing for now hopefully i will be able to switch over to a 717. But what do you think?
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im not familar witht he prices of them.If you dont allready own the Lt160 then I would just put that money towards the price of the 717 Z. I started my buisness in 1995 with a Jd 188. I still have that old war horse now and it mainly does leaf work and pulling a core areator and a spreader. My dad still uses it on 2 yards a week, he doesnt like the new style mowers. This mower has almost 1000 hours on it. I think it is a LX288 now, 17hp liquid cooled kawasaki and a 48'' deck. If youallready have the lt160 then maybe keep it for a back up or for other yard work like I do
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have hustler Z's, a New Holland tractor, had Cub Cadet M60 and Kubota BX-2200, but every lawn tractor I've ever had was a Deere (455, 445, GT245, LT160). They really do make the best lawn tractor (not zero-turns or large tractors). Just stay away from the L and G series models (like at Home Depot). If you're cutting commercially, you're better off buying a good used LT or GT/GX than a new L or G. Take good care of it and you will have no problem selling when it's time move up.
  4. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

The LT GT GX or 400 series you cant go wrong with any of them, built like tanks i almost bought a GX325 but couldnt afford it ($5500.00 used) but they are well built and as long as you take care of them should last forever, i have a 180 that i use for plowing snow off my drive, and speading dirt and gravel bought it for 500 bucks and have only had to have the transmisson rebuilt on it.

the LT series is comporable to my Simplicity Regent and if they would have had 12 months no interest/no payment i would have bought the deere instead
  5. Mbsausage

Mbsausage LawnSite Member

i have a gt 235 deere, 18 kawi 48"convertable deck. good tractor!! it's 6 years old use it for everything around the house. the depot ones suck btw. there the old scotts( left over deere parts). so thats what the JD dealer say.
    i'm in CT , i'm not sure if you can get the bargain news
    ( but theres tons of listings there for them. maybe i'll sell u mine!
  6. lawnboyblake

lawnboyblake LawnSite Member

I use a Deere 455 Diesel with a 54" Deck. I have a bagger mounted on the back with an 8hp motor on it that is a leaf suckin machine. I take the bagger off when in the off leaf season. I mow solo most of the time and use the ZTR but there are some spots that I use the tractor. I love the diesel in that thing. It gets used alot lately for the bush hoggin jobs that I shouldn't be doing with a lawn mower, it does those nicely with no problems though, doesn't even sweat a drop. So yes, I love my tractor.:waving:
  7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I love my JD tractors too. Have a 455 (1995 - lots of hrs. - 22 yanmar diesel) a 595 (780 hrs - 2004) and 495 (2004 - 350 hrs) - they are built like tanks.
    Just mowed a grass airport runway today with the 9 1/2 foot mower on the 595, and did 7.2 acres in 50 minutes. It was 3200 foot runs, at full bore. YEH!!!!!
  8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I had a JD Lt133 that I give 1599 for brand new and used it commercially for 3 years and was still in good shape when I got rid of it. I kept the oil changed and maintained it more often than what was recommened. However, looking back now I wished that I would have put the money towards a new z. My first Ztr cut every yard I did by over 50% in time and we are in this to make the money. I would suggest that you go with the 717 (also my first ztr) and you will not be sorry. I saw a nice one on ebay for around 4500 in NC with only 109 hours. Put your money on a ZTR and never look back!
  9. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Save the time and get a used J.D. Z-Trak right now.
  10. bkdlawnCo

bkdlawnCo LawnSite Member

ya i've been reconsidering because i already have my LX with a 38" deck on it...and it runs i'm pushing for a Z something like a used 717...and i'm looking at one of these...what do you guys think of this...that price doesn't mean anything because i'm really great friend with the family of the company...