1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere Lesco prices going way up

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Jimmie, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Jimmie

Jimmie LawnSite Member

I guess John Deere needs to make money fast after buying Lesco a 50 pound bag of 24-2-11 might cost you $3 to $4. more last time I checked.
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Are you familiar with what is going on right now with the N market? With this post I am assuming you are not.

It has nothing to do with JD buying Lesco! I called around and my Lesco/JD store is almost cheaper on everything.

Call around and you will find that all suppliers fert is going up quickly. The N market is going crazy...and all fert suppliers are following suite.

I bet JD is in the same boat as us....they will be charging more and have shrinking margins.

You better get your N bought ASAP. Talked to a friend in the retail fert business and he claims that there may be a fert shortage in the spring and that it may be hard to find. I am stocking up BIG TIME!

It will pay you to borrow the money with the increase in fert and that way you have a fixed cost and don't have to worry about availability!
  3. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I will give Lesco credit, my local rep. called me today saying they were adjusting prices next week and if I needed anything to finish up the year I should get it asap. That's called a good rep. Someone who looks out for you.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

My dealer told me nitrogen was up around 34 percent.
  5. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

There is a price increase coming on the 26th of Nov and again in Jan '08 from Lesco. Every supplier is raising prices. If any of you guys use starter fert for anything, better get it asap as the prices on it are going evern higher. Shop things around as best you can, it's going to be an expensive year for fert!
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The Lesco website shows my price on my favorite crabgrass control product has gone up 14 percent. As of November 17th--but I expect further increases.
  7. Jimmie

Jimmie LawnSite Member

Thanks for the good advice, but this increase is not due to cost of nitrogen (that might be coming) this was a adjustment to how much John Deere what's to make off a bag of fertilizer.
  8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Again....my Lesco is the cheapest around on almost everything I checked on.

Why would JD jack up the prices as you say? They know they have to stay competitive or we will go somewhere else!

Also....the N market has gone up like crazy since spring. How can you say these increases are not due to the cost of N? Everyone knows that the N market has been going nuts! I bought some of my product back in August (for my 2008 season) and it has almost gone up almost $.70/bag. That increase is due solely to the N market.

It is suppose to go up another 10% next week and I heard it is open game after Jan 1st.

Good Luck!
  9. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

keeps making me think us small guys need to team up some
    how to get some better buying power like the big guys-

at least i was told control products will be roughly the same, and
    less in some cases. supposedly(im told) JD has a better contract
    with dow, for lower prices on such things as dimension

heating oil prices are my current subject of attention.
    prices are going up on everything
  10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I can't afford fertilizer anymore. I'm just having my wife and kids poop in bags and then taking that to spread... Then I charge extra for being organic.