John Deere LX 176

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Jun 6, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I know this is a tractor related question but I haven't gotten any responses on the tractor forum so I thought I'd try it here.

How would this tractor work in a small mowing business? I know it's not a commercial model or anything, but I'm just starting out and won't have a ton of accounts for a while. It would be something to get started with. The best thing about the tractor is that I already own it!

Thanks for any opinions,

Joel B.
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

As long as your happy with the cut, and understand that it's killing your efficiency (Non-0 turn). It should last. JD's, even the smaller ones like yours are usually built much better than department store lawn tractors.

Good Luck
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Yea, JD's are built good-
    a STX-30 lawn tractor I once saw had a 9hp Kohler OHV Pressure Lubed engine, all for just a little 30" mower deck. That's a good horsepower to deck ratio, but OHV and Pressure lube are overdoing it alittle don't ya think? Not a bad thing necessarily but not cheap to fix like a 10hp Briggs either.. Yes a mower and catcher and mulcher are all this thing will take no tiller or snowplow anything like that, just the littlest front engine rider they make. Quite extravagant I thought. The LX176 is built good too from what I hear. It'll do.....
    Good luck,
  4. grasscutter

grasscutter LawnSite Member

we have used a lx176 for over five years. our only repairs have been wheel bearings on both front wheels and a ball joint on the steering. we have used this mower to mow 5 residences and one business since we purchased it. the business yard is not the smoothest around and takes around 2 hours to mow. it is pretty tough unit for a homeowner mower
  5. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Like you said you already own it so half the battle is won. As you grow you can add a Zero turn mower and save the old JD for a backup.