John Deere M665 Mid ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdjoe_97, Apr 22, 2001.

1. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 LawnSite Member

Hey Guys. I wanted to update you all on a pair of M665's I bought for this season. The initial results look promissing. I am very happy with the quality of cut and power from the 25hp Kohler's. They handle well have good ground speed.

Things I have learned-

1.Don't try to stop going down hill. It will NOT!
    2.Fill the tanks, cuz they love the gas.
    3.They don't turn like a grasshopper.

THings I would change-

1.Put gas gauges on them!!!!
    2.Different rear tires, OEM are not aggresive enough!! Tends to skid alot.

Will let you know if I have any problems, but so far I am happy.

2. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a m665 over a month ago, and I'm well pleased with it. It cuts and handles great. Alot of people on this forum don't seem to think much of the Deere ztr's, but if they would demo one I think they would be impressed. As far as quality of cut I'll put my m665 up against any and all other mowers. Hope you have good luck with yours.

3. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

I'm buying a lawn business from a man who purchased a pair of these a month ago. Since I'm new I don't have much to compare them to. However, they reduce our production time significantly form the walk behind Skags. On one the hydrolic hadles are loosening up quickly. Replacing the blades needs focue: the washer is beveled and can easi;y be replaced up side down. For the most part it is an intuative machine. Have about 10 hours on each.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have about 300hrs on my M665 and am impressed with its ability to cut almost anything. At first I did not like it much because it scalped bad at 2.0" cut height. I found that deck height did not match height marked on lift adjuster. At the 2.0" setting I was actually cutting at 1.5"! Once I got that figured out I have had no other problems. I can mow 8"-12" tall,wet,ryegrass with no deck plugging problems. Lately I have used it for "brushog" type work where there are too many trees to get in with a tractor and shredder. The "7 IRON" deck will mow anything. I become more impressed with my 665 every day. Now if they would just put a diesel on them--. :D

5. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

>Now if they would just put a diesel on them--.

Maybe next year. According to my JD dealer the redesigned JD ZTR will be out sometime next year. He said that he didn't know if it would be a variation of the Great Dane or what. But he said with JD's money behind it we might see some big changes in ZTR design. I'll bet it will still have the 7iron deck.