1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere MOD question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FIRESCOOBY, Dec 15, 2007.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I am hoping to purchase a new ZTR next year. I am looking heavily at the new JD models, but have a few questions. I'm located NE of Atlanta GA.

1 - Does the MOD door open all the way, meaning does it flip up or does it stick straight out when open?

2 - How well does it really mulch? I have no experince mulching. I don't wanna buy something and not be able to use it. I mow Bermuda and Fescue. I'd like to be able to mulch the Bermuda yards and leaves in the fall.

I'd appreciate any information you could provide.
  2. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried a John deere 757 60" mulch on demand out yesterday. The mulch plate stayed straight out on it. I too was concerned about that because it would be easy to tear it off or get it hooked on something. The design seemed a little shaky on it as well. When you sit on one and work the handle on the mulch on demand you will know what i mean. I did mow some tall grass with it and had the mulch plate down and it did a decent job. I think the 60" is a little underpowered with the 25hp kaw. This one had a stripe bar on it and it striped the grass pretty well considering it was brown due to the weather. I have only owned Scags and I came across this Deere it don't have many hours on it and the guy also has a deisel John Deere tractor and about 8 attachments that go with it. He also has a Exmark 48 turf tracer walk-behind. So I thought i would at least look at what he had. I have to buy a mower due to I sold all of mine. I have been trying out different ones (Exmark,Deere,hustler) so far its still going to be Scag all the way.
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I was looking strongly at the MOD decks when I was shopping for a new Deere this past spring. I'm probably switching to Deere for '08 and have been curious about the MOD.

Several guys here on lawnsite discouraged me from going with the MOD system. The biggest complaint I recall was a lesser cut quality when not mulching. I guess the baffles and overall design intended to enhance mulching actually hurt side-discharge mowing.

Since I mostly side-discharge, I'm just planning on installing PowerChuteDesign plates over the discharge chutes.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I'll be going with the 54" deck and 25 hp, so maybe power won't be much of a problem.

The #1 thing I am looking for in my next mower is cut quality. It looks ;ike I'll probably go with the regular deck and put a Qwikchute on it like I did my Hustler.

5. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the 54" deck will be a good choice with the 25 motor. Good luck with your purchase! :usflag: