john deere mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by buster, Jul 24, 2001.

1. buster

buster LawnSite Member

i am looking at a john deere 325 and wanted to know if anyone has used this mower. i plan to purchase it now to be used next year. should i consider the 425. will these mowers hold up to years of commericial use.

2. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Buster , I have a 335, the next size bigger. It's a really good machine, but if you're serious about mowing grass, do yourself a favor and look into a ztr. I have a M665 Deere z with a 60" deck, the 335 has a 54" deck, only 6" difference, the M665 will mow twice as much in the same amount of time and the cut is much better. The 335 has been relegated to towing attachments and as a back-up mower. A ztr will cost more , but will pay for itself much quicker.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I had a 332 and I still have a 430 JD, both diesels. The 332 was a 50" and the 430 has a 60" deck. One ZTR will mow as much as both of those tractors. If you plan to use this for mowing, get a ZTR. If you want to add attachments of all sorts, the tractor will be best, but only plan on mowing half the amount of grass that you could with a ZTR.

I only use my JD for snow removal and I use the blade a box scraper for doing the grading for small lawn installs. I do not ever plan on buying another tractor. Anything with a steering wheel is obsolete for mowing. ;)

4. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

Go with a ztr it alot easier to push levers that crank a wheel.

5. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

We bought a 54" JD Z Trak and have good results only with 127 hrs of cutting. Another LCO here in town owns 2 JD Z riders and have made only normal maintance repairs over the past 3 years and provides service to 100+ homes a week. I can't see going with anything less if you are in this for the long haul. Just make sure you have lots of work because Z riders are very productive.