John Deere Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scweedman, Apr 5, 2008.

1. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Is their a difference in JD mowers from Lowes/Home Depot or the JD dealer
    or is more for service?
    Thanks

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Not if it's the same model #. Or at least I believe that to be true. Of course Lowe's and Home Depot are limited to consumer mowers.

3. scweedman

The model #s are different

4. tacoma200

There is technnically nothing wrong with the models sold at Lowe's and Home Depot. John Deere dealers will service and work on them. They are just consumer models of course.

I believe that to be the case.

5. scweedman

I think the dealer maybe better if you have a problem or service

6. deereequipment

deereequipment LawnSite Senior Member

Lowes and Depot sell John Deere disposalable mowers.
    They are not the same quality of "real" Deere mowers.
    The dealer I use to work for, won't sell them, but can.
    They actually bought a couple of those mowers, to have on site so customers can compare and see how cheap they really are.

this is just Deere's way to put a bad name on their name, just to make a quick buck by getting part of the "small home owner" mower market.

I know of 2 local low ballers that bought them last year. I'm a commercial mower, because I own a john deere. Yeah, both of those mowers are broken down as we speak.

7. tacoma200

Yes they are the cheapest built mowers that John Deere offers. But even at that they have less repairs than other "consumer" mowers" of the same price range. I base this on Consumer Reports surveys of owners and the fact two members of my family own them and cut about 4 acres a week with out any repair problems. Yes they are the lowest quality mower John Deere makes but they are in line with other consumer products within the same price range. This is a commercial forum so this type question doesn't come up often. They are no where near Commercial grade but for the average home owner you could do much worse.

This may not fly well here on lawnsite but there are some lowballers around here and some kids that are making money with Murray mowers and they seem to hold together for years and repair parts are cheap. I'm not suggesting you run out and buy one but it is amazing how some cheap mowers hold out so long. I myself ran an old Murray mower for 10+ years and beat it to death with very few repairs. A spindle or two, and a sledge hammer to beat the old deck back out after I hit a stump or something was about all I invested in it. The trassmision (manual) dried up and wouldn't shift and there was no place to put fluid in so I drilled a hole in the transmission added some oil and it ran fine for two more years. Not trying to make a point here, just thinking out loud.

8. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

The 225, 245 and 445 sold at the big box stores are the same as the 225, 245 and 445 at your local JD dealer. The only difference is that when you bring it in for service, you wait in line behind everyone who purchased their mower from that dealer, and not the big box stores.

If you are mowing commercially, go to the dealer and get a commercial z-trak, you won't regret it. If you have to buy a cheap mower, get one used, or spend as little as possible on a murray/mtd so when it breaks for good you can scrap it and not feel so bad. The 225. 245 and 445 sold at home depot/lowes won't last long if used commercially, but will be good for 5 years+ if you're just mowing your own lawn once a week, 8 months a year.

9. Rodrugg

Rodrugg LawnSite Member

deereequipment,
    i am looking for a good deere dealer in southern maryland. any recommendations?

10. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

the mowers at homedepot/lowes are the same exact mowers jd dealers sell. LA100 series including 105, 115, 125, 135LE, 145, and 175. Z series 425 and 445. Might run into a z200 series once in a while.

All are residential mowers and won't be good for commercial use. The select series mowers are only available at Deere dealers and begin with the x300 series tractor, x500 & x700 series

the dealer select zturns begin at the z510 estate series and go through the 997 commercial diesel

hope this helps and support your local dealer instead of bigbox stores