John Deere Mowers??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by top lawn care, Aug 18, 2004.

1. top lawn care

top lawn care LawnSite Member

Just wondering if any of you guys use the John Deere push mowers, I am looking at some new push mowers for next year and like the JX75 although they don't make the 85 commercial model anymore, dealers swear the 75 will hold up just as well.
    Are they worth the money?

2. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

JX75's stink at mulching, are good at bagging. That's what I've heard. They are well built though.

Seth

3. NafzigerLawn

NafzigerLawn LawnSite Member

I just bought the new JX75. It was well worth the money. It is an excellent bagger. I love the fill indicator on the bag. It always fills the whole bag. It has an easy starting 6.75hp Kawasaki engine.
    I would defiantly recommend it.

4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

If its green and yellow you can't go wrong.

5. top lawn care

top lawn care LawnSite Member

I would be using it for mulching, more than bagging so I'm currious how well they do like that, they do make a mulching plug and you can use gator blades right??

6. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

You never buy anything that is the color of money, get something else!

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

:rolleyes:

You'll be happy with that John Deere, can't go wrong with Deere.

8. liltex

liltex LawnSite Member

i have 1 jx-75 and 1-jx85. the jx-85 is alot more heavier than the jx-75. their basicly the same other than oil filter. i bought both used for $225 from neighbor. their also very easy to work on other than changing the belts. where at in arkansas are u?

9. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I have the new style 75. After 20 hrs, blew a head gasket. After 20 hrs on the new gasket, blew that one too. I put a gator on it and it didnt work that good for mulching, good for pick up though because it got even more in the bag. It is excellent for bagging but tends to leave a mulched strip of grass on the left hand side in anything but short dry grass. The old style deck that they have had for a long time is much better at mulching than the new one imo. If you want a new mower at half cost, get the highest home owner model and just swap the gear boxes. The resi has the 3 speed and the comm has the 5. Resi has only the plastic wheels but the rubber ones on the 75 only have plastic gears in them anyways = crap. The resi model is in the old style deck but has the new 6.75 kawi on it, and its half the price. Thats what I'd do if I could do it over again.

10. clc2003

clc2003 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ia

Do you think you need self propelled? I have a JS60H. I have the mulching cover on it and I love it, works like a dream. It has the big wheels on the back, light weight, and easy to push. It has the 6.75 HP B/S on it. Paid $320 for it.