John Deere Mulch on Demand Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BCNU, Feb 16, 2008.

1. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

I am considering purchasing a Deere 997 with 72 inch deck this spring and was considering the Mulch on Demand deck. I would only use this option when mowing around areas that I did not want to get grass clippings on such as mulched areas or like you have a neighbors car that you do not want to throw clippings on and if you cut the other direction you have a mulched area you would throw clippings on, you all know what Im getting at. In all other instances I would just use the normal discharge not the MOD. Anyway anyone who has used this Mulch on Demand deck care to comment on it, dose it work as advertised? Thanks in advance for any information!

2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

The mulch on demand deck doen't discharge anywhere near as well as the standard deck. If I was just going to use the mulching around beds I would get the standard deck and install a power chute blocker.

3. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

Turf Dawg do you have any info on a power chute blocker? Website or brand I could look at ?

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

powerchutedesign.com I also belive they have a video of one on a jd.

5. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

Turf Dawg thanks for the link. Checked out the website and liked the looks of the powerchute. I think that will be the route I will go if I get a 997.