John Deere Mulch on Demand Decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mrgreeninc, Mar 7, 2005.

1. mrgreeninc

mrgreeninc LawnSite Member

I am looking for more information on the John Deere Mulch on Demand decks. How do they work? Can a person buy one at this time and if so where? Any and all replies will be appreciated.

2. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

It is my understanding that there were only 400 something made and were sent to dealers for testing purposes. If all goes well and customer feedback is positive they will be in production sometime later in the year (Late Fall).
    I ran into a rep the other day that has two 757's with 60" Mulch on demand decks for sale. One was a demo the other brand new. Me personally I would wait till the Fall and see how they are doing with them, but by all means if you can get your hands on one for a demo go for it.
    Be sure to let us know how it works out if you can demo one.

Hope this helps,
  3. LawnSite Member

Just got mine today.

I only had time to be on it for 10mins but it was WET today and my guy mowed 6 lawns in a short amount of time Myself and another were aerating and he was mowing on his own and trimming and blow off. He is a VERY good worker. He was VERY happy with my purchase of the new mower he really likes it. I now have a 717 the new 757MOD and a 777

Ill let ya know what I think when I get to use it. .... and have to clean the deck...... Maybe ill have Pics tomorrow
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Are they just on the 60" decks? I need a mower that can mulch and discharge but with a smaller size deck. The first company to perfect this will definitely gain market share.
  5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

John Deere has them listed on their website. Says you can get the 757 with the 7 Iron deck or with the 7 Iron II deck. I'm pretty sure the 7 Iron II deck is the mulch on demand.
  6. Grassman6

Grassman6 LawnSite Member

The "Gen II" or Second Generation deck is new for '06. The blade tip speed will increase to 18K rpm, front deck wheels will have double support brackets and the baffle has been slightly modified to increase aerodynamics. Don't know the fate of the mulch on demand deck but I had an opportunity to demo one in June '05. Impressed with the design initially as all three chambers are closed off for maximum mulching, however, the mulch blade did not allow max-speed mowing even with the mulch option open. I use the mulch blade on the regular 7-Iron when the drought sets in so I don't have to eat all that dust. I am currently experimenting with doubles combinations on the regular 7 Iron and when I perfect the combo of mulch & gator blades they should make the Mulch on Demand deck unbeatable.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Ordinarily, this "Second Generation" would interest me, but given the facts of how they have treated Tonyr with his defective 997... all I have is "Second Thoughts."