1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere mulch on demand, does it work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sydanna Lawn Care, Mar 5, 2008.

1. sydanna Lawn Care

sydanna Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hey all, I am going to buy a ZTR mower sometime in the near future. They're all great but I have a question about the John Deere deck. Does anyone own a JD with the mulch on demand deck? Does it work? Do you like it? Is it worth the extra money? Most of my lawns up here :)canadaflag:) require bagging but I think I can get away with mulching when it's a bit dryer. Any thoughts??

2. StevensL&L

StevensL&L LawnSite Member

ive wondered this as well....does it work good?
  3. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

I posted this question a week or two ago because I was interested in the mulch on demand deck also. I was told that it did not disperse the grass clippings as well as the regular deck and I should look at the prochute. After looking at the prochute this will be the route I will be going.
  4. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I've held off buying until I can get some feedback; anyone?
  5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

One of the landscapers in my town, Mike Dykstra, was interviewed by John Deere about how he likes the mulch on demand decks. The video is on Deere's web site. He seemed to really like them and bought several. You should check out the video it should help.
  6. toddy204

toddy204 LawnSite Senior Member

What is the prochute? How do I look into it?
  7. wintergreenlawn&landscape

wintergreenlawn&landscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

In my opinion, it works well only when cutting short grass. If attempting to cut long grass it clumps outrageously.
  8. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

I typed in prochute but I meant to have typed powerchute, sorry for the confusion. You can go to www.powerchutedesign.com and check one out. The have video and pics on there along with pricing.
  9. StevensL&L

StevensL&L LawnSite Member

What about for leaves? anyone have experience using the MOD to mulch leaves?
  10. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Is this your actual experience cutting with the MOD 7-Iron, or upon what do you base your opinion?