John Deere Mulch on Demand vs Exmark Mulch Kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bwa, Apr 8, 2008.

1. bwa

bwa LawnSite Member

I have an Exmark with a mulch kit installed and it does a great job. I would like to know how a John Deere mulch on demand compares to an Exmark with a mulch kit?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

It don't compare at all.

The way it is designed to do either "on demand" makes for a deck that does neither well.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I read a review of the mulch on demand (in a lawn care magazine) and it basically said it was a trade off that it would do both but not that well. I'm sure there is a niche market for it.

4. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Envy, have you personally tested the MOD deck? I respect your opinion.

5. shiveslandcsaping

shiveslandcsaping LawnSite Member

I own 2 MOD's and love them. It does mulch real well but it doesnt side discharge as well as a standard deck but the option of being able to do either is great to me.

6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

The MOD mulch well grind it up real fine, but I could not help but leave a trail on the right side , even with a 2nd pass in the opposite direction it sill left the trail which my Exmark doesn't. I even tried to side discharge and blow the windrow but it didn't have enough force. Too bad I was really liking the mower other than that.

7. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Have you heard anything negative about JD hydros or wheel motors yet?? How many troublefree hours do you have on yours ? I'm kindof looking at JD again just not the MOD deck, and want to know if the hydros hold up.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What type of grass are you cutting? I would think some Southern type turf grass. You say you are having good luck with them and MJB says they are leaving a streak. I know MJB's lawns and they are high quality Northern Grasses so this may be the difference. It should do better on the Southern grasses but how well I don't know. Since bwa is in Arkansas he may find the MOD deck works better than for MJB. I don't mulch, but from what I'm hearing this deck will not do as well as a dedicated mulching kit say on the Exmark or other quality decks.

9. shiveslandcsaping

shiveslandcsaping LawnSite Member

I havent had any trouble with the hydros on my 757's but I wouldnt jump on the 800 series mowers just yet b/c they changed the hydros to single pump and dont quite trust it yet. It might work fine I dont know. I mainly have the MOD for properties where there are a lot of cars around so I can close off the chute and to mulch up light leaves to help the property look cleaner. I am mowing TTF here. I havent used the exmark mulching kit so I really cant compare.

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Wrong, the 800 series does have two pumps. Each wheel motor and pump is encased separately to avoid cross catamination. :rolleyes: