1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere or CAT controls???

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by MarcusLndscp, Nov 11, 2005.

What do you run John Deere or CAT controls on your excavators/backhoes?

1. John Deere

2. CAT

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious....I've been catching alot of slack lately for running JD controls. It's what I know and most people I know run them. That is until I moved to this new company. I am the only guy who runs JD here and everyone thinks I am crazy and that I do it bass ackwards. I'd love an answer from everyone who reads this. I'm just interested to see what type of results we get from such a large group of people from across the whole country and well then there's Squizzy in Australia too.
  2. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

John Deere!
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Cat. I can run both, but I'm pretty disoriented for a few minutes on a JD machine.
  4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

We've talked about this Mark -- JD here. IMO, The JD controls are so logical by having the dipper and bucket on same control. I know it's all in how you learn, but I don't know how guys get comfy with CAT controls. The JD set-up seems most efficient to me, but I guess I really don't know for sure.

Now, skidsteer controls (l/h steering, r/h bucket) the CAT controls ROCK!

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a self admitted Cat freek. However, for the life of me, I can't understand why Cat egnineers feel why their way has more breakout power than JD style. That's the reason they are opposite. I've run both. When I'm not near anything, I'll run Cat. When I am close to something, Ill take down a building if I run Cat style.

And I've tried the break out thing by swtiching the flip flop valve under the cab. I personally saw no difference.

Run what you are comfortable with unless of course someone wants to take responsiblity for whatever your destroy or overdig running something you are not familiar with.
  6. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

John who???...

I have no idea...I just drive the bloody thing:D What pattern am I running?

If I close my eyes and think about it..

Left stick...slew and dipper

Right stick...main boom and bucket

left foot...warp drive

right foot....angle boom or breaker

around behind the left side of the seat...volume control

Holder in front of right stick against the window....Coffeeeee:D

Middle stick....oops sorry...wrong forum:blush:

Yeah the boys like to play tricks on me and flick the pattern changer lever when I'm not looking..causes all sorts of mayhem:realmad:

With the controls that way I can jump straight from the 246B into the excavator, and vice versa, without missing a beat.
  7. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you're a CAT man Squizzy. John Deere has the dipper and bucket on the right joy stick
    I try CAT from time to time like you say when I absolutely cannot damage anything but it's like drinking a half gallon of whiskey and trying to use that middle joystick squizzy was talking about. The boom is up and down and then up and then it' starts pounding into the ground with all it's might and then it stops etc etc. It's really an embarrassing and painful experience for me and whatever it is I'm trying to dig into. Now running John Deere for me is nothing but SWEET LOVE!!! :rolleyes:
  8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

well, at least CAT has an explanation for their illogical controls.
  9. bkdlawnCo

bkdlawnCo LawnSite Member

i'm only 16 but have been running the excavator since i was 12 and our excavators are CAT controls...but the backhoes are JD Controls...i feel ******** when i switch from the CAT to the JD...takes me a little while to get use to it...
  10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

It feels more natural for me to pull back the main boom and curl the bucket with my right hand, while lifting the dipper with my left.