john deere or club cadet

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by nathan101, Jul 19, 2006.

1. nathan101

nathan101 LawnSite Member
    from florida

im thinking of buying a tractor and wanted to know witch one you would recomend the club cadet Lt 1046 witch has a 23 HP* Kohler® Courage™ V-Twin OHV Engine and 46 in cuting deck or a john deere John Deere®
    20 HP V-Twin OHV 42" Lawn Tractor 125 with briggs and stratton.i know this is a commercial forum but can you guys please help me out.thank you

2. LawnDawg65

LawnDawg65 LawnSite Member

choose a kohler over a briggs and scrap iron anyday.

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

The CubCadet is more or less an MTD mower with different paint. If you are looking to get the better mower, the JohnDeere, (even though it is a HomeCheapo Deere) would probably come out better. CubCadet/MTD can be real asses to deal with on warranty issues (I cannot speak for Deere since we do not do Deere).

4. nathan101

from florida

but what if i get the extended warranty with it. the club cadet also offers a 3 year warranty and all other lawn tractors have 2 year warranty.could it be that the club cadet are built better therefore they can offer that extra year of warranty.they also have a 23 hp kohler v-twin engine.

5. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It is CUB Cadet, no club in it. The 3 year warranty is on residential use only. If you are using it for commercial mowing, forget that warranty stuff, it won't help you when a breakdown comes. All the tech would have to do is look at the hourmeter (which IIRC most if not all are equipped with now) and if it is abnormally high for its age, he's going to get suspicious, especially when dealers are not known for their affinity and affection for warranty work and then you're going to be SOL and out in the cold on the repairs.

If you're going into mowing, get something more substantial. I personally use John Deere garden tractors (preferably mid-late 70's vintage) and heavier duty lawn tractors (like the Honda in my sig), but others will advise you to get a WB or ZTR based on their experience. I personally do not mow enough to justify a ZTR or even a WB, even though I've had 2 of them recently. My biggest job is a school yard here and I use the GT-235 and it gets the job done expediently. There's a lot of steep places at the school yard where a ZTR or even a WB would become unstable therefore I just stick with a good ol' garden tractor.

And my personal opinion on the Cub Cadet is.....there hasn't been a real Cub Cadet made since 1981 when International Harvester stopped making them and MTD took over.

6. nathan101

from florida

cant you just take the hour meter out

7. Smalltimer1

That would be considered modifying the machine to non-factory specs and would also void the warranty--they have you either way.

8. nathan101

from florida

how would thay find out i did it.just want to know its not like im going to do that

9. Smalltimer1

There is a fitting in the wiring harness for it, it would be very obvious and stick out like a sore thumb.

10. nathan101

from florida

cant i just but it back when i go take it for repair