John Deere or Exmark Walkbehind??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Petr51488, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I took a ride down to my local john deere dealer and they have the 36'' walkbehind mower for 2500 pluss 300 for the bagger. Also at the exmark dealer they have a 36'' walkbehind for 2499.00 This is going to be my first walkbehind. I need an oppinion on which one to get. John Deere OR Exmark Metro. Please give me your oppinions, i want to make a good choice.

2. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm running a JD GS45 48 inch walk behind with a 14 kawai no problems here. I've got 2 JD dealers close by. One in either direction. JD gets my vote

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

You will be happier with the eXmark. It cuts nicer. I have a 32" eXmark metro. I love it. Can take a pounding.

4. tsmith82

tsmith82 LawnSite Member
    from toledo

I've got a JD GS30 ( 36") and have been using it all summer. I think it does a great job with the cut. It leaves nice clean lines and so far seems to be pretty reliable. However, I wish I would not have bought a fixed deck. With the GS30 you've really got to change some bolts around if you want to change the height from say 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches. Also when I first bought it the spring for the belt drive kept breaking ( easy fix but a pain in the A** ). Finally the JD dealer put a bigger spring on and haven't hadf any trouble. Over all I'm happy with the mower and Think I'll stick with JD.

5. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

From the demo I saw I would say go Exmark, We have an Exmark ZTR and the dealers said the 36" wb has a better cut and I would agree.

6. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 15 year old JD 36" WB. I love it. It cuts better than any other mower I have or used. It leaves great stripes with no kit. There are virtually no clippings. Not a lot of overspray in landscape beds. And the deck stays clean. I like exmark, but they dont compare to JD IMO.

7. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

they are both equally great, think'n it would come down to dealer network. Both have fine cuts, and clean decks, so service and parts would be the factor.

8. creativedan

creativedan LawnSite Member
    from IL

my gs 30 is the best wb i have, great cut always starts first pull never used an exmark

9. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

if quality of cut matters go with an exmark

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

If you could wait until the 2005 JD walkbehinds come out, I think John Deere is going to make 36" 7 Iron deck for a walkbehind. I've heard a rumor anyway. But right now I would get the Exmark.