john deere or exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jmt, Feb 14, 2006.

1. jmt

jmt LawnSite Member

us flag
    need help im looking to buy my first mid mount.
    deere or exmark whats better?
    anyone tried the jd on demand mulch

2. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you looking at ZTRs or Wbs or what kind of there ztr or wb? If i had to say an all around better brand i would probablly say exmark and ESPECIALLY after what Tonyr has gone through....after his stories i would NEVER own anything John Deere!

3. jmt

jmt LawnSite Member

60" ztrs mid mounts

4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

As an owner/operator of both, I can tell you that I choose JD over Exmark. Both good manufacturers, both good machines, both worth the money.

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I own 2 JD ztrs and I can say they are very good machines. No major problems to date. You can't go wrong with Deere.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

So, are you speaking from expirience? Doesn't sound that way. Maybe you should read the forum rules.

7. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

Personally I would not limit myself to those two manufactures. I would look around find a dealer who will take care of you when are broke down. they will all break sooner or later. In my area neither of these two have what I would call a good dealer.

8. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

consider a toro.....

the turbo force deck is good.

ToroLandscaper, it sure was a saga, but I will admit the new side discharge unit is good, for finish mowing maybe toro is better?

DLCS, unless your name is Sean, and you own this forum, back off telling everyonme what to do and stop making out deere is the ultimate, it isn't!

it is good, but if you have probs, ya gone, no company support at all!

deere don't offer client services/support DLCS as you well know!

9. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I am very partial to John Deere because of the quality and service I get. TonyR apparently has had a run of bad luck with his JD 997. I have the same unit and it has been completely bullet proof. I have had one hydro failure on one of my 777's and the mower was back to me within 24 hours of the break down. I'm not sure how many other companies would have had that unit back in the field that fast. For what you're looking for check into the 757 60" with 25hp Kaw. or even better the the 777 60" with 27hp Kaw. You might like the additional 2 hp on the 777.

10. Sybran

Sybran LawnSite Member

I have all john deere equipment as well around my area my local dealers service is top notch. Other dealers like toro, exmark, kabota don't have the commercial first policy. If I go into my JD dealer with a propblem and they have 20 non commercial customers in front of me I get serviced first. Some of my fellow LCO wait days or even weeks for parts. With other brands.