John Deere or Exmark???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by PoconosRob, Dec 19, 2003.

1. PoconosRob

PoconosRob LawnSite Member

Howdy All,

First thing id like to say is GREAT SITE! I am doing a little research on starting my own lawn care business out here in the poconos and I have a "possibly" stupid question. I am looking at Exmark equipment (Lazer Z AS 60" 23hp kohler and a Metro HP 36"walk behind with 15hp Kaw). And I am also looking at John Deere equipment (737 Z-trak 60" 23hp Kaw. and a GS75 walk behind with 17hp Kaw). I recieved a quote of $10,498 for The 2 Exmark mowers, and a quote of $10,400 for the 2 John Deere mowers. My question is.......Is there any differences in the two manufacturers that im not seeing?? Im sure i would have reliable equipment with either one I chose...I just wanted to make sure I looked at it from every angle before I go refinancing the house!! hehehehe

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Rob

P.S. All I have so far is the '04 Chevy Siverado 4x4 x-cab.....gotta start somewhere!

2. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Did you look into dealer support and after sales service? This is one of the most important factors you have to look at when purchasing $10500 worth of equipment.
    Exmark is probably the best bet here - try the 27 hp on that 60". 23 hp might be a little under powered for the bigger sized decks.
    You can also try the search function and deep into the archives for more info on the Deeres and Exmarks.
    Good Luck
    PC