John Deere quits produsing JX85, 21" commercial mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowingman, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

For those of you who were thinking about getting a J.D. JX 85 mower, you had better get one quick. That is, if you can find one. My dealer told me that J.D. has dropped that mower from their line.
    Of course, the JX75 is exactly the same mower without the heavy duty "commercial" features. You can still order the heavier commercial-grade parts and bolt them to your JX75 deck.
    For a company that is supposed to be getting serious about their line of commercial mowing equipment, I can not see the logic in dropping their 21" commercial mower. Maybe J.D. is not as serious about competing for the LCO business as they let on. What could be more basic than a good commercial 21" trim mower?:confused:

2. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I'm one of those people looking to buy a new 21" mower, replacing my Murray. Was looking at either a JX 75 or 85. I know a good amount of people on here have the 75's so if they keep making those I may buy one of them, considering it's probabley cheaper than the 85.
    I just think JD is cutting back on the 85's cause the 75's are basically the same except they don't have some of the commercial features as the 85's, so instead you just have to buy the parts for it which JD can make more money on the parts than produce a whole nother line of lawn mowers. They are having hard times too, since I live like 45min away from Horicon we hear about the job cuts that JD makes at times so whereever they can find cost cutting moves in the company is a step in the positive direction.
    Matt

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'm one of those posters that uses a JX75 instead of the JX85. I bought the heavy duty wheel adjusters that are standard on the JX85, and put them on the back wheels of my JX75.

jx75.jpg

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

What are they replacing the JX 85 with? I think maybe they might have a new model coming out. Possible?

5. Mowingman

from Texas

I don't think there is a new model. They probably assume you will buy the identical JX 75 and add the heavy duty options to that deck. I switched to the 75 last year as they are much cheaper. Then, I just bolted on the adjucter brackets and deck lip guards. I have found that the steel wheels with rubber tread last no longer than the cheap plastic wheels that come standard on the 75, so I do not change those out.:)

6. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

The 85 also has an engine oil filter . The filter added to our 75 was about $40 extra.

7. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a JX85 and from what I heard from the JD dealer here, apparently John Deere is coming out with a new commercial 21" mower that has a Robin engine on it.

8. Mowingman

from Texas

I don't know why they would do that. That Kawasaki engine is really strong and bulletproof. Guess they found a way to cheapen them up and save a dollar.:(

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I agree, those Kawasaki's are the way to go. It would be ashame if they stopped using them just to save a few dollars.

10. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I bought a jx85 and my dealer told me that they were going to stop making them. I had wanted one for a long time but they are so $$. I am very happy with the purchase, and I imagine it will hold up well. No complaints so far.