John deere rider ??????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Martee, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Martee

Martee LawnSite Member

Hello
    starting up this spring as new owner, I had someone ask me if I wanted to buy a used John Deere riding mower today and cant seem to find it when I do a search on it. Its a STX38 anyone know anything about this riding mower? He is asking 300.00.
    thanks for your help

2. cuttinggrassiscool

cuttinggrassiscool LawnSite Member

i may get shot down for saying this, as it is not a commercial unit, but i will voice my opinion. it depends on what you want it to do. are you planning on doing 5or 6 lawns a week or 25 plus? if your only going to do a few, then this may be the way to go. if you plan on doing this full time, this wouldnt be your solution. however, if you are planning on doing this full time this may serve well for odd jobs and/or as a back up. i own on which i used to do roughly a dozen lawns for two years, after it was already used as a homeowner for 8 years. the machine does not see regular use any more, but is still usefull. it has a lot of power for such a small machine. i have pulled two yards of mulch, a car and a 19 racing sailboat withit among other things. again it all depends on what you want it for. repost if you want to know anything more specific

3. Martee

Martee LawnSite Member

cuttengrass:
    thanks for the reply, I figured it was a homeowner model. Is this the particular model you have? I dont plan on using it everyday. Just a back up from time to time and wont be mowing more than probably 10 lawns a week to start as I will be working for someone else part time. I will only be using it for the bigger lawns but not real big as I have a bigger mower with a 6' deck that I will use for the big ones. Just kinda like to have an option, plus would like one at home. I mow 9000sq feet at home with a walk behind. Can use the bigger mower but like the clean look the walk behind does so I use it. The tractor is too heavy and smashes the grass down and wont cut that unless I mow it twice a week.
    Thanks for your help is it worth 300 used. Dont know anything about it yet havent really checked it out. Thats what the dealer here told them they would give him for it.

4. scagchevy4life

scagchevy4life LawnSite Member

i used to own that before i got my scag in 2004.. our was like 1990.. it was the most reliable thing on the earth.. it had a 12.5hp kolar Command engine.. that baby was sold for $400 with no problems.. it still in full useage.. Awsome mower.. not an everyday for everyone mower.. takes time to turn around, but if u are only gonna use eveyr now and then.. id buy it..

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

The older JD models are so reliable. I know one guy that after what seems like 30 years is still running his JD mower

6. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I have one, they stripe good, plenty of hp, mine has a 13hp kohler in it. ive had it for about 7 years. now its just sitting outside because the engine blew this summer, because of pulling to much weight, but it was a great tractor. we bought ours in 1997 for 1200, 300 sounds very reasonable. are you using it for buisiness, if you are you would probly be better off with a commercial mower, like a small walkbehind or so. If you using it for your home or just a few lawns it would be perfect. The only thing bout it is that the steering was very tight, u really had to use some effort to turn it, even after greasing it.
    Good Luck