1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere RX75 speed problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GardenPrairie610, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GardenPrairie610

GardenPrairie610 LawnSite Member
    from IL

I just finished a major overhaul of the kids RX75. After putting everything back together the thing moves very slowly forward. About the same speed as reverse. Anyone have any tips for adjusting this?

Thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

So what all did you have apart ?

3. GardenPrairie610

from IL

EVERYTHING! :)

I had to replace the sheave on top of the transmission, so after getting that far......

I tore down just about everything else. Cleaned her up. Soaked the carb for about a week in a simple green solution. (the kids had been running it without a filter) Replaced belts, got the rear tire that was stuck on, un stuck.

I'm wondering if the new belt is too big? Came from the Deere dealer and looked right, but it seems that the belt doesn't get tensioned until the shift arm is 3/4 way forward. Hmmmm. I wish I had the maintenance manual.

4. Restrorob

Hmmm, Do you mean a service manual by chance ?

Something like this ? :weightlifter:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=2001177&da=y

It may take a few minutes to download.....

Things to keep in mind, When dealing with a vari-drive system it's best to replace belts in pairs. Installing a new belt with a used/stretched belt can cause ground speed issues, Also....After installing a new belt start the unit and with the gear selector in neutral operate the speed control pedal a couple times. Doing this will center/neutralize the belts in the vari-drive pulley.

5. nvc0117

nvc0117 LawnSite Member

Look in your manual there is a thing under the seat you have to adjust. i just replaced the belts on mine and had the same problem

6. GardenPrairie610

from IL

Problem solved! Thanks guys. A new primary belt and an adjustment to the variator did the trick. Thanks for all the help! Now I'm turning the kids loose on the grass.

7. ishare1269

ishare1269 LawnSite Member

8. Restrorob

Hello Joe, I share too ! :laugh:

Try it again as you requested, Let me know when you get it saved to your PC. The link is only good for X amount of time.....

9. ishare1269

ishare1269 LawnSite Member

Finally got down loaded, Thanx again

10. Restrorob

Your welcome Joe.... [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.