John Deere Sells Great Dane

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gatewayuser, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Did anyone hear that John Deere has sold the Great Dane Mowers division 2 weeks ago, thats what one of the sales people at the EXPO told me but I could tell she acted like see should not have, oops now you all know. And if you noticed Great Dane was not anywhere near John Deere Great Dane did not even do a outdoor exhibit. Who knows maybe it will be the end of Great Dane.

2. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Great Dane was purchased by Everride.

You heard it hear first,
    Jason

3. Gatewayuser

Your are correct ACI bought them and thats what she said too.
    Hopefully their mowers will be greatly improved on.

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Ehh, it was in an industry publication earlier. Apparently Everride purchased GD from Deere so they could have a proven stander in their fleet and still possibly build units for Deere? The information was very vauge.

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Deere builds there own stander at their plant in North Carolina, they are not built by Great Dane.

6. Gatewayuser

John Deere bought Great Dane so they could have the patent to build the stander.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

For John Deere, the Great Dane thing happened as a "sub-out" relationship that was a result of breaking similar ties with another company... and the Great Dane purchase was a 2 fold deal... buy a weak company for their patients... which was also the ultimate "screw you" move towards the old company they broke ties with.

Anyways, I'm not surprised at the resell at all. What will surprise me is seeing any sort of turn around with Everide or Great Dane. Both are plagued with the bad reputations they deserved to aquire.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes thats right but Great Dane never built the JD standers, JD built their stander at their Turf plant in North Carolina.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

How come no one ever brings up the 717/727-Chariot Jr connection in these conversations?

Frankly I liked the early versions a little better that were before Deere made the changes.

DeereDane.jpg

10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

On a side note, does that stamped deck work for them? I've never seen one that matched a fabbed deck.