John deere stander opinions-657A

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by deere615, Mar 20, 2009.

1. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

So I am in the market for a wright stander. But this just came up what are you guys opinions? I have seen the cut these mowers leave and they look pretty nice. How about hills? Its a 2006 John deere 657A quick track 23hp.
    http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/1084331360.html

2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

If money is the real issue get the Deere stander; however if you want the "real" stander get a Wright.

I have had great luck with John Deere their equipment is tough, and the 7-Iron deck is bulletproof. Money talks BS walks.

3. deere615

No money is not the issue, its just standers are rarely sold used here so I will probably have to buy new. But I guess my real question is what does a stander have that this doesn't?

4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I would look at the spec sheets on both brand of standers. Then decide on what feature's are best for your business.

5. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 657, and cant say enough good things about it. I dont have have wright stander, so I cant really give you an opinion there.

I say for the price, its a good deal.

6. Rusty Lawns

Rusty Lawns LawnSite Member
    from RI

I have 2 wright standers and will be purchasing a wright sentar for this season. The wright standers are more compact, shorter, have 52 inch cut option and weighs less. Ive had great luck with this brand. A friend of mine uses deere and it has been a good machine for him. Its all in your preference i guess.

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a JD 647a and they suck on hills but other than that they are a good unit. If you have hills get a Wright. Wright holds a patten on their frame design and wheel spacing and thats why other stand up mowers don't compare to Wright.

8. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

We have a 657A, its a great mower! Very little down time, if I remember it only has one hydro, but has not been a problem. I have a JD dealer here but we service the mower in our shop, so we just need a source for parts. I think in the 500 plus hours we have replaced the tension spring holding the drive belt tension adjuster. We have been very happy with our JD and we did a review on this for Turf Magizine a few years ago. We were so happy with the demo provided, we bought it. You acn't go wrong with a stander, and I have nothing against the folks at Wright, I just have never been on one of thier mowers to compare.

Good Luck Call or email if you have specific questions

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You have two hydro pumps, they are just encased in one single unit.

10. deere615

do you use it on hills how does it hold?
    thats another thing I need to check the length I know a wright 48 will just fit with the 36 and a 21 on my trailer
    Ok thanks I do cut a few hills
    How does yours hold hills if you do any also