John Deere Standing Mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by capelawncare.com, May 2, 2007.

1. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

Is anyone out there using A 647, 657 or 667 Standing mower? What are your thoughts, good, bad or indifferent?

2. lawnboyblake

lawnboyblake LawnSite Member

I JUST bought one last week, 657. Works great, but I think I'm going to try and load the rear tires of it and hope that will make a huge diff. It actually does better on hills that I thought it would, not quite as good as my Z though...

3. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

Cool thanks for the reply

4. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I pick up my 657 this week. Anyone have any reviews for me?

5. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed one for a day and it took a while to get used to it. I did not like the way it thru the grass very disappointed. Ok on hills I like the wright better.

6. IN2MOWN

Was it the controls that took a while to get used to?

7. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed one, and a Wright. The Wright is sooooooo far ahead. The difference is in the BALANCE of the machines.

8. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I've owned Wright and Deere standers. I liked the Deere much more. Floating deck spring loaded platform are big advantages for Deere/Great Dane. I also found the Deere better on hills as well as a better cut. Not even close.

9. IN2MOWN

Thats what Im looking for. Someone who spent some time with one and just didnt demo it.

I have heard the cut on them is second to none. The only bad thing I have heard consistantly is its bad on hills.

Why do you think its better?

10. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 667 at first the control are jerky it takes time to get used too. The only bad thing is that the deck doesnt raise high enough. Its new to me so I havent adjusted the blades spacers. If I can adjust the spacers then I its a quality machine. I was surprised to see how much power the 23hp engine has.