John Deere STX 38 wiring question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TriMLawN, Aug 25, 2007.

1. TriMLawN

TriMLawN LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

I'm trying to correctly wire the starter solenoid, starter, and battery in this mower. The mower will start with a jump, but not on its own. The starter, solenoid, and battery are all new, so I am replacing the 2 positive wires and 1 ground wire. Does anyone have a diagram of what the solenoid should look like with all the wires hooked up to it? I have a wire from the battery to the rear of the solenoid, then a wire from the front of the solenoid to the starter. There is a wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid and a black wire that goes from the solenoid up front somewhere, but I can't find where it goes to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

You have checked the fuses right?

I don't have a schematic, but solenoids can be of several different configurations.
    The wire from the ign. switch should supply 12V when in the CRANK position in all cases.

The other small wire on the solenoid can do a couple different things.
    1. It might just be a ground to complete the circuit from the other small wire.
    2. It could feed 12V to other accessories like fuel solenoid, coil etc) during cranking.
    3 probably something else I didn't think of:)

First, just try jumping 12V directly th the terminal that the "crank wire" connect to. If the engine cranks, it means you aren't getting 12V from the ign. switch when cranking.
    IF NOTHING HAPPENS, Ground the other small wire and repeat. Unless the engine cranks, don't jump for very long!

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Deere Diagrams are hard to come by, They are tight with their info.....

The above wire does what bill stated as #1 and is most commonly tied into the safety switches (clutch/parking brake) switch. When one of the two are depressed it completes the ground circuit to activate the solenoid.

You could run a jumper lead and ground this wire/post and if you have power in start position to the other small post it should crank over.

And Bill.....I like #3 :laugh:

4. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

I've got the wiring diagrams for the STX mowers, if you'll look up the serial number I'll put it up on the site for you. If you have
    a DSL or cable internet connection, I'll email you the whole service manual for the STX series mowers. The file is about 45 mb, that
    is why you need a cable or DSL connection on account of the size of the file.

5. TriMLawN

TriMLawN LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

Sn m00stxc300272

please email me if you can to trimlawn@hotmail.com

6. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Fly-

Could you add me to the list?
    bkapaun at hotmail.com

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm on sorry dial-up.....:cry:

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I was going to ask you to email me a copy but my ISP email has a file attachment size of 20MB

9. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe you can do what I use to have to do before I had DSL. I went to the local library which has DSL and download big files to a ZIP disc for home use. Maybe you could find a place you could use for such things

10. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

Sorry guys, but my ISP has a limit on it like fixer67 does, so I'll just put the wiring diagrams on the site. This is the first one, the second one will be in the next post.

stx 1.jpg