John Deere Tranny on 54 in. walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fivestar, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Fivestar

Fivestar LawnSite Member

:help: Does anyone out there in Lawnsite country know where a guy could buy a transmission rebuild kit for a John Deere 54 Inch walk behind. This mower is a yellow v deck commercial mower. It`s only pulling on the right side and my dealer told me that the clutches on the right are most likely shot. They quoted me 400.00
    for the parts. That`s not to high but if i can find them cheaper that would be good!! Might even consider a good used tranny.

2. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

Is it a dana belt drive unit ??????

I thought those were not rebuildable unless you split the case and other pita stuff. I think a new unit should be about 400 tops.

3. Fivestar

Fivestar LawnSite Member

It`s not a belt drive like a Exmark Metro. It`s a gear box run off a belt coming from the pulley at the engine if that`s any help.

4. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

Thats the Dana spicer I beleive. Try going right to them.

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I had two of those sorry things...

Have you fully tried adjusting...when mine would pull/slip the adjustments would fix it.

The real problem on one of mine...it kept hopping out of gear, a shift fork broke inside of it.

The transmission is a "Tuff Torque"

It has friction clutches like an automatic transmission. You may be able to squeeze a little more life out of the clutches with a friction-modifier. The best I have seen is OEM Ford limited-slip differential additive.

The trans is expensive...close to $2000 if it is even still available from John Deere.

KB