1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere transaxle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Lee Roy, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Lee Roy

Lee Roy LawnSite Member

I own a 10 year old John Deere 38" WB with 270 hours. It has 12.5 Kawasaki and a 5 speed manual transaxle. I am having problems with the trans on the right side on hills. It is losing drive when turning right and is making noise. I have tried adjusting the brake adjustment screw and linkages. Better but still not so good. I have called a few local dealers and they don't seem to rebuild these transaxles, and the replacement price is about $1,600. (not worth spending)

Has anyone had any experience with these transaxles?

Thanks Lee
  2. mudpie

mudpie LawnSite Member

I dont know about this model but some john deeres use peerless transaxles it will have the peerless model number attached to it parts can be bought from a tecumsee dealer for some reason cheaper then from john deere
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I had a simular mower. A JD 48"er (1990) w/ 17 hp Kawasaki. My transmission was doing the same thing. It started acting up when it was only a couple of years old. The dealer said that there was a problem with those 5 speed gear boxes and they fixed it for free. The mower was out of warrenty.