John Deere Transmission Question and No Spark

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by vaulta, Sep 20, 2007.

1. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

Hello, I have been having some problems with my John Deere GS30 36" walk behind. First the mower is not getting any spark, yes the plug is brand new. It went from running great to the next day it wont even try to start. Checked out the spark and no spark. You think it is the ignition coil or could it be something else and how do I trouble shoot it. Also since the mower has been down I was playing with the gears. It has a lever that goes from neutral /referse to gear 5. I noticed it only clicks (like its clicking into gear) when I push it to gear two by hand, then I go all the way too gear five and nothing. Back down to gear two(click) then neutral or referse and it Clicks like its in gear. Thats the only two gears I can hear and feel that it goes into (second and neutral or reverse). But the mower goes and moves thru all gears when I was running it before it was down fine.Why does it do that? Thanx again for any help and advice.
    vaulta

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You failed to mention what engine is on this unit which would help. Without that, Disconnect the kill wire at the engine harness plug and check for spark again. Doing this will eliminate all safety switches from the engine and tell you if it is the coil or a safety switch on the unit.

On the shifter, The other gears are just not aligned for the shift keys to drop into the slots on the inside of the gears to give a solid detent. I wouldn't worry about that.

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

The GS units also have a neutral safety switch on the trans and they use a large shift lever with a guide rod, and they are a (PITA) to get lined up. If you are not aligned properly in neutral this may be your spark issue. Try making a quick jumper for the connector and see if you regain spark.

4. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

Guys thanx for all the great advice, I will try this in the mourning.let u know what happens.thanx again

5. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

Is the kill wire the safety switch? Disconnect it by the controls?thnx

6. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

I also dont understand you said make sure its in neutral. I push the lever all the way too the right to where it says neutral/referse. The mower doesent move backwards, like its in gear. I thought neutral was the wheels not being locked up. am I in gear is it not alligned?

7. Restrorob

Yes.....

?

That's what it sounds like to me, Put it into the position where it rolls.

8. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

Its a Kohler Command13 engine

9. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

I put it in neutral, no spark, I unpluged the safety switch, no spark?

10. Restrorob

Did you connect the two wires in the plug together with a jumper wire ?

Did you disconnect the kill wire on the engine (could be either black or white) and check for spark ?