John Deere Trim Mower (21")

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfer, Jun 8, 2000.

1. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

Read lots of posts on toro and honda trim mowers. Has anyone used a JD 21&quot; ?<br>

2. Lawnstar

Lawnstar LawnSite Member

I own two John Deere 21&quot; trim mowers (14SB & JX75) with 6 hp kawasaki engines, 5 speed transmisson. The kawasakis are great engines. One mower is three years old with no problems with the engine or transmission. The things I had to replace were the plastic wheels on the rear. The concrete and asphalt are hell on the plastic. The plastic wheels are expensive. The only other things I had to replace was the clutch that turns the blades on, and a belt. The clutch itself was still good, it was the bearing that went bad. The next one I buy will be another John Deere. Hope this helps<p>Lawnstar

3. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

I've had my 14SB 21&quot; for around 9 Years now. While I don't use it that much it still gets the job done. Is yours going to be used for light trimming? Anything more than that I would upgrade to a commercial 21&quot; mower.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I love my John Deere 14sb. It's fast (4.1mph)and the bagger is simple to use. It starts one the first pull every time. I did have to replace the back tires this year ($15 each). Everyone on this forum raves about Honda's and Lawnboy's, but I'll stick with my Deere!

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

lawn boys suck! at least the newer models do! years ago lawn boys were probly the best 21incher, there were built light as hell yet built good enough to stand up tp commmercial use. the the lawnboys today are heavy and built for a howeowner. i bought a lawn boy 6 years ago and only use it about 30 minutes a week.... been giving me problems since the first year i got it... the latest problem is it wont even start anymore! the lawn boys around that are 20 years old are still running like new even being used by a commercial cutter. I would definitly not buy another lawnboy!

6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Evan,<br>Do you close off the fuel tank valve when transporting? The carb floods from being thrashed about. When I forget to close, I have a hell of a time starting it.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have a 21&quot; JD trim mower also, the 14 SE. The only problem I have had with it is the starter. It went out while under warranty and was replaced and it went out again. I found out it was $180 for the starter, not installed and I decided as long as it starts on the first pull, I will pull start it.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

toroguy, at this point the thing wont even start when i take it out of my garage after sitting for a day.... always something with it... the new lawn boys dont even discharge the grass as evenly as the old ones.... i think im just gonna buy a new 20 inch mtd to use for the 30 minutes a week... ill buy a new one every couple years....