1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

john deere users

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jnrogers, Apr 20, 2008.

1. jnrogers

jnrogers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

John Deere guys I was wondering if anybody has used the new ztrak pro 800 series mowers? Would you recommend the Z830A over the 757? Also have a 717A and the spring for the deck tensioner keeps pulling through the eye bolt after a while, has anybody else had this problem if so what is the fix. It was fixed with around 80 hours on it by the dealer(warranty) but it looks like it is coming through again.
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I lost the eye bolt on my 717A, very early too (e.g. 50-100 hours). It is a poor design. The vibration because of the belt tensioner makes the spring connection vulnerable. The standard bolt with a small eye is just plain bad design.

I just stopped at the hardware store and bought an eyebolt. I think it is 5/16". The one I used is about 3-4" in length. The open end is at least 3/4" in diameter, and provides much more "meat" at the point where the spring is connected. This has worked fine for the remainder of the time (now at about 500 hours of service), and the eye bolt has no signs of wear. If my explanation isn't clear, let me know and I shoot an image for you.

I have put a shoestring around the spring, looped up over the frame. When the deck is in the cutting position (2.5-3.25), the string has just a little tension. My intent is that it keeps the spring from excessive vibration. I doubt it does much good. The belt whip on such a spring-loaded tension scheme will make the arm vibrate, regardless of what one does.

I tried putting a back tie on the arm, so that it was being held from two directions. I quickly learned this was not a good idea. The belt squealed a bit, and the motor felt a noticeable drag when I engaged the electric clutch. This quickly told me that the spring-loaded tension scheme is important on blade engagement. The spring allows the arm to swing enough so that the impact on startup is minimized on the electric clutch. In other words, when the clutch is engaged, the spring must elongate so that the power cycle against the electric clutch is lessened. I quickly removed my restraint -- better to deal with a vibrating arm, than to make repairs to the electric clutch. I think the spring-loaded tension scheme is not there merely so that a manual adjustment does not need to be made to keep the belt properly tensioned, but rather the scheme is used to lessen the load on the clutch on startup.
  3. jnrogers

jnrogers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Thanks Roger I will check my hardware store, I have had the second one on a little longer, I put the 2nd I bolt on with around 100hrs(guess) and now I have 224 hours on it, but it is getting pretty thin on the edge. Thanks again.
  4. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

Finally got to try my Z820A out the other day for real, and I love it. No expeience with the 757, but the Z830A has the 27hp larger displacement kawi vs the 25hp. The Z820A is the direct replacement for the 757.
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Here is my fix for the eye bolt. I was putting my machine away this evening, and had the camera nearby so took this shot. I hope this explains my solution to the problem.

DOUBLEGHAMMER LawnSite Member

i have a 727a with 700 hrs, & a 757 with 100 hrs and have never had that problem
    but will certainly be on the lookout
  7. Australian Mower Man

Australian Mower Man LawnSite Member

I have a 757 with 200 hrs and I and the blokes I employ hate it. Compared to our grasshopper 227 (1100 hrs), its like riding a Steer on a nail saddle! very uncomfortable.
    Last JD I buy
  8. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

I would let the new models get the bugs worked out for a year before I would buy one.
  9. 7 IRON

7 IRON LawnSite Member
    from VT

and they sure have some bugs to work out:(