John Deere v. Scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Perry Merlo, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Perry Merlo

Perry Merlo LawnSite Member

Anybody have any opinions in regards to which is the better mower? I'm down to the John Deere 757 zero turn vs. the Scag Wildcat. Both have 60" decks. The Scag has a little more power, but cost a little more. Which will hold up longer and which is the better machine? Thanks, Perry

2. jimmie51

jimmie51 LawnSite Member

I'm not a big fan of the JD equipment for commercial use. In my opinion your paying for green paint. I like the Scag mowers, I've had a Truf Tiger for 3 years and I love it. Very few problems and the problems I had were taken care right away. I'd vote Scag all the way.

3. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Perry Merlo, you should look at Dixie Chopper for a 60" zero turn too...27HP, 60 Inch cut and the fastest mower on the market period plus much easier to work on, and typically $500 cheaper. They make one kind of mower, and just do it the best

4. gator-town

gator-town LawnSite Member
    from bfe

somebody once stated "cadillacs are heavy" ... point well made ... you will never regret buying the best .

5. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

I've never owned a JD personally, but know many that have. Although they were not commercial machines they had several problems with them after minimal use on their personal lawns. That being said I bought a new Wildcat a few months ago and love it. Where I'm at I have to mow some pretty thick stuff at times, and so far nothing has slowed the Wildcat down.

-Brandon

6. JDRep2

JDRep2 LawnSite Member

Perry
    Do a search under John Deere and you'll find a broad view of opinions, more specifically to Zs.

7. QuikKutLawn

QuikKutLawn LawnSite Member

I have seen a lot of posts going both ways... I personally like the 757 over the Scag for quality of cut, but that's just my opinion. I have never seen a machine that cuts better than a JD with the 7-Iron deck...

8. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Again Perry, you are wrong if you don't contact Ferris up the road from you or Dixie....they are unreal

9. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

I am just going to reiterate what alot of folks told me when I asked the "what ZTR question". Dealer support is more important than saving a couple hundred on a mower. If the dealer is going to give you a loaner if your mower is in the shop then that is a good thing. How far is your dealer behind on repairs, etc. You are going to get some folks talking about Exmark, Ferris, Hustler, Scag, John Deere, etc. and they are all going to say that the brand that they are loyal to is the best. I have seen posts regarding all of these mowers that say they have a good cut and some that say they have a bad cut. Demo the units you are looking at. If the dealer won't give you a demo then that will give you a clue about what type of support you are going to get in the long run. Do searches on this site and read the threads carefully because there is a lot of good advice in here. Also, take advantage of the sponsors links because there is alot of good information on those sites as well. Good luck.

10. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

scag all they way johnny deeres customer serv sucks