John Deere vs Dixie Chopper vs Exmark vs Scag vs Walker

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Doc, Jan 23, 2000.

1. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Dixie Chopper,although Eric@ELM loves his,mine has had six problem areas and went back 5 times in the first 100 hrs.Mine is a 2000 XW 2500.it is a 60".I do not recommend the Dixie,not only due to defects on the machine,but due to not getting adequete support from Dixie Chopper in Indiana.E-mail me private for more details,I dont want to start a bashing thread again.

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the honest appraisal of
    the dixie John.As a soon to be buyer
    you saved a lot of frustration probably.
    Sounds like you know the machine.

3. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

Neither of these two mowers where on the list, but I use Honda and Gravely mowers..The Honda is a 52in hydro that will go anywhere as long as you can hang on..I'm in the south and alot of my yards have steep inclines and the Honda works better than anything I've used..As for the Gravely's, I have a Pro260z and a belt drive walk-behind..The 260z has a 60in deck and is fast with a great cut..The 260z did have a 50in deck and was the worst mowing mower that I'd ever used but since I had the deck changed, I wouldn't have anything else...Another great feature about the 260z is the hydraulic deck..This makes mowing alot faster.One good thing about the Gravely walk-behinds is the ease in changing the deck heights, but they're not really built to stand alot of wear and tear...Clean-Cut

4. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

:) I have had nothing but good luck out of mine.I really put mine to the test too.Give both mowers an honest try before deciding.I have 2 96 models.No major repairs yet.john
    [​IMG]

[Edited by cclllc on 11-23-2000 at 04:15 AM]

5. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

cclllc,

what type of mower are you using? dixie or exmark? you didnt say. I would suggest that you look at the toro 22 or 27 liquid cooled. You can get the 22 with a 52" or a 62" deck. You can get the 27 with a 62 or 72 i have heard. I also have heard that toro is coming out with a bagger similar to the exmark UltraVac. The Super Flow Deck cuts wet grass really well too. And you cant beat the quietness (sp) of the liq. cooled. Hope this helps.

6. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry,
    I have 2 1996 dixie choppers.22 hp 60 in. cut. :)

7. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Starting up a biz this spring and would like to know how you folks feel the Toro Z100 stacks up with these others? Great info here

8. T. Cagle

T. Cagle LawnSite Member

Currently running two Choppers 1998 and 99 models one basic machine and one with options, great machines no problems with either. BUT!!! John Deere have owned one this will be the only one I ever own (POS!!!) Save the money they cost green paint is not worth that much.

9. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

If you are going to alternate every other week the Walker would be the better choice. You can get the new 26hp EFI Kohler with the 48" bagging deck and then the 52" deck with a mulch kit. The LazerZ would be just as easy though, mulch kit on one week, bagger on the next. The only down fall to the Lazer is that the bagger makes the mower soo wide. Like 67". If you are doing residential yards go with the Walker. Otherwise the Lazer would be the mower of choice. You can swith the deck on a Walker in about 5 min. It takes 20min to swith the bagging and mulching system on a Lazer. Buy what you want, what you like, and what you prefer for your own properties.

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Walker ..... Walker .... Walker
    This is the best "over-all" mower made. Over all means can handle a variety of mowing conditions & perform a variety of task.

Flat Open Yards .... Hilly Burms in Landscaped Areas.... Narrow Side Yards or Grass Strip in Shopping Areas.... Wet Areas the 3 Tires leave little tracks .....

The front deck is not only easier to get under trees (save on weed wacking) but helps get close in confined areas .... oh she also flips up to switch blades with quickness.... Grass Height is easy as 4 pins

With a speed up kit or even with not your workers can't finish their jobs before the grass is mowed. With a GHS you can pack over 9 bussels of compacted clippings or switch decks from a variety of sizes 36 to 54 .... Mulch or Side discharge.... has Dethatching attachmenst ...... Edger kit for super long curbing .... the Bagger when using a mulching deck is great garbage area for small branches ....bottles ...cans etc.

I used a Chopper and this is the best mower for large open areas...she is so fast that running over things can be a hazzard...changing blades is real fun ... and she can be kinda bulky looking on smaller properties ..... But I'm mowing St Augustine which mulches easy .... with thin blade grass you have to use the GHS or clumps show up ..... So I can understand using a DC on side discharge grass