John Deere VS. Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by toddman35, Jul 28, 2000.

1. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

I am wondering which is better for quality of cut for the money. A John Deere 455 Diesel w/ 60&quot; deck, or an Exmark LZ60?<p>----------<br>Todd Maurer<br>

2. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I've only been in this business for 15 years, but I didn't know that John Deere made a commercial mower LOL, Lynn

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

JD makes several types of commercial mowers, however the 455 diesel isn't one of them. The 9 series for instance (911, 930, 932, 935, etc. are larger mowers that are commercial. These are impressive machines but they don't leave a very nice cut. Shabby in fact. JD also has a mid mount Z mower out this year but like much of their other equipment, it's not made by JD. This happens to be MTD in fact. Good luck with your shopping! Also, Andrew, Why not a Kohler motor? Are you one of those that had valve or lifter trouble too? ( I know there was alot of that between the time they switched to the Command motors and '99). <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Runner

4. toddman35

i am going insane or do exmark mowers look the same as toro??? they have the same engines and frames? i now have a toro Z153 with a KOH. is that bad too? thanks for your help<p>----------<br>Todd Maurer<br>

5. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Runner,I have been told that Yazoo/Kees makes the Deere mid mount, not MTD. Or does MTD own them also.

6. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

We a have some of the new Ztrack JD commercial mowers with the 7 iron decks. Great cut. Solid build.<p>Toro owns exmark, hence the simularity.<p>We have more problems with Kawasaki, and Onan, than with Kohler <p>----------<br>-Grasscape Mgmt.<br>Http://sites.netscape.net/grasscapeinc/homepage

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Does anyone know who really makes the John deere midmount? Are the decks strong enough? I had the impressions they weren't very thick. Also aren't they supposed to have a deck that stands the grass up so you don't have to double cut?<p>Rick Wallace<br>LawnWorks

8. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

Yes, the NEW JD decks are extrmely strong. Not the yellow ones . The Green 7IRON 2000 models. 1 piece 7 guage steel. almost 6 inches deep, and full lenth baffles to stand up grass. We like them alot.<p>----------<br>-Grasscape<br>Http://sites.netscape.net/grasscapeinc/homepage

9. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

While talking to someone working at the Husqvarna outdoor display at Expo 2000, he said that John Deere sends them the deck for the Deere midmount and Husky makes the mower.<p>----------<br>Larry<br>

10. toddman35

thanks, but i dont know were u guys got that i thought a 455 was commercial? i know its not. but it is a heavy duty. oh well so most of u think exmark would be the way to go?<p>----------<br>Todd Maurer<br>