john deere vs. honda

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Loej, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Loej

Loej LawnSite Member

Hi. My friend and I started a lawn care business (basic mowing, edging, weed-eatin etc...) last summer. We accumulated about 20 lawns and hope to get more this summer. We bought a $300 Craftsman mower and it blew by the end of the year. We're looking into buying a good profesional mower and can spend up to $1000 on it. What would you recommend? :help:

2. ce2000

ce2000 LawnSite Member

I cannot recommend any mower that costs less than $1000. I also cannot imagine making any money using 21 inch equipment. I would recommend buying Troybilt's Widecut mower, it is not commercial equipment but it is pretty good. The only problem that I have had with mine is a broken V-belt pulley, I have to replace it about once a year. I bought this mower in June of 2000. It has a 33 inch cut and has a 9.0 horsepower Briggs engine. It will set you back about $1500 before tax, if you don't get the electric start. You can also purchase a bagger and mulch kit for it. As for 21 inch equipment I would recommend the Toro commercial mower, it will set you back about $1200.

3. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

You might want to check out the Redhawk/Bradley mowers. They have been getting decent reviews here on LS. You can get a 32" commercial style mower for $1299 or so....

The 33" widecut from Troybilt/MTD is not made for commercial mowing and are built pretty cheap..I would stay away from this mower if I were you...

4. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

The Honda HRC can be had for < than 1k. I'm on my 3rd year on it. We usually kill every other trim mower within 1 season. Last year we bought 2 homeowner John Deer 21s for less than 1k and that was the biggest waste of money ever. If you are going to put many hours on the equipment it has to be the best money can buy. Don't necessarily look for something larger. Look for what fits your market. If you service mostly small <5k sq. ft little would be gained by having a 60" ZTR. Whatever you buy, get commercial grade equipment and maintain it religiously.

5. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Go with the Honda!!

6. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

I have ran John Deere JX75's for about 8 years and they are good. I usually get 2 good seasons out of them - I put about 3-4 hours a day on them during the season. The brand new JX75 is basically Deere's commercial JX85 they used to have crossed with the old JX75. I bought one last year and it is much nicer than the old JX75's and they were nice. I used to have a lot of trouble with the tire's wearing out and blade clutches and transmissions going out, but they beefed all of those up on the new JX75 and I haven't had any touble.
    The new JX75 also has a 3 bushel bagger, thats one of the bigger baggers for a 21. It has 5 speed transmission, blade brake clutch, and a 6.5 Kawasaki motor. You can mulch, bag, and discharge by changing attatchments on the back in just a matter of seconds also. Mine last year was around $850.
    Personally, I would not look at any other push mower at Deere than the JX75....the others are more homeowner models.

Honda's look good, but I don't really care for the controls they have compared to Deere. The price is pretty scary for their 21" too! I did see a Snapper the other day and it looked nice, but for me the deere is easier to get parts for at the dealer.

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

If you just need it as a trim mower then a non-self propelled used Deere is fine,everyday heavy use it will get old fast. Just get an old deck and replace engine and wheels. Lots of guys here are still running Sabre 21 decks with metal wheels they've put on and the best engine they could afford. Might have to go that route until you can move into something bigger even the Q36 is out of your range at this point from the sound of it. If you can find a way to get by for now and can bank the rest, splurge for the good equipment in the future, you'll be much happier. jmy.02

8. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Get a commercial 36 inch belt drive walk behind. If your not wanting to spend that much they are somewhat cheap. Most dealers have some sort of financing so you could end up getting one year same as cash or something. If you have 20 plus lawns you will have no problem paying for the machine in a year average 36 in is around 2400 give or take I dont know what dealers you have around their.

9. Loej

Loej LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys