John Deere vs. Hustler Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by recliner5, Apr 11, 2005.

1. recliner5

recliner5 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have a Hustler Z 25hp/60" deck at home. At work I use a John Deere Z-track 777/27hp. Kaw./60" deck. Of the two I like my Hustler better. It rides better, stronger deck, sterring handles are better. The John Deere steering handles are really tight when going forward and backwards compared to my Hustler Z. I'm going to call dealer and see if they can fine tune the controls. They came out earlier and adjusted the seat switch, whenever I leaned to the left it would miss-out. Maybe I just need to work bugs out with this John Deere, so far my Hustler Z is a cadillac compared to the Deere.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

and I have both and would argue the exact opposite........it's the ford vs. chevy thing is all it is. Plus a 7ga stamped deck as any welder will tell you is stronger than a 7/10 ga fab deck because it takes 4M foot pounds to stamp that deck and there are no welded joints to rust or break.

3. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the warranty on the deer ???

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I'm sure you already know, but it is 2 years.

BTW, one of the John Deere dealers in Greensboro also sales Hustler and told me flat out that always recommends the Deere over the Hustler and carries Hustler only because he can sale it cheaper to home owners.

5. IMoLwnz.com

IMoLwnz.com LawnSite Member

777 and 717 here!! LOVE them!!! I had an exmark and it started on fire... Got the deere's and WOW its great!! FAST and cut is MUCH better!!

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Two 757's here and love them, no Hustler dealers within a 1hrs drive for me.

7. recliner5

recliner5 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Why would the steering be so tight on my 777 ( bad pumps or something)?

8. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know about the Deere's, but scags and exmarks/toros have dampers (like small shock absorbers) attached to the steering levers to make them stiffer. With out them they move too easy and feel more like a dixie or hustler. Too squirrelly for me. Also check the bolts where the levers pivot and see if they are too tight.

9. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Of course he is going to push Deere. Parts alone on a Deere franchise will gross millions a year for a dealer. Hustler is not a "homeowner" machine, so I would give no credibility to that statement. He is looking at GREEN. Cant blame him, push what is gonna make ya rich if you are a dealer! It just puts a red flag up for me, the credibility factor.

10. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Thats 7,000,000 lbs/square inch to stamp the 7IRON decks